A Drill Press to match to a Delta Mortising attachment

Came across a great deal on a delta mortising attachment and bits. I'm looking for a drill press now. Does anyone know if the attachment can be used on any other brand of drill press besides delta? I have no idea about matching anything up or requirements to match the chuck, etc. Thanks

Reply to
Gene

The ring (split) that attaches to the Quill ? just above the spindle is sized to fit a delta. See what it can fit - and you can likely have enough room - see if height is ok and if the chuck can reach the drill.

Mart> Came across a great deal on a delta mortising attachment and bits. I'm

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Thanks Martin. The mortise attachment kit comes with 3 different sized split rings. The instructions say they are able to fit to the 12, 14. 15 & 32 inch Delta drill presses. They appear to be oval shaped, ranging in internal diameter of 36x39mm, 43x46mm and 48x50mm. A friend of mine has an 8" craftsman DP, so I measured the quill on it and it was 38mm but round.

Now I'm wondering if the oval shape is unique to delta quills? If so, I think I will be stuck buying a delta (not that delta is a bad DP, to the contrary) just wanted more price options if I could match the rings to other brand quills.

Reply to
Gene

The oval shape says it will attach to two sides and not all around. Simply giving more room to make sure a good pinch hold is done.

This has to fit over the top of the chuck if the chuck is used. Dad's had a special wood spindle he put in that had two screws in it to hold the drill with.

Baring that, the flat is aligned with a hole in the chuck. The key hole. Which means the chuck faces touch the round part of the drill.

Mart> reply>>

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Gene: Buy it Now! I have a Chinese press in FL and a a Rigid in NC and my Delta kit fits just fine on either. It (a regular/full) kit is supplied with a set of split rings to allow attaching to various drill presses.

Next time you find a Brand Name Find, try googling for the owner's manuals first. Often they will readily answer such questions as you pose - and with specificity.

Reply to
(;harles