a carpentry terminology question.

this was forwarded to me... I guess somebody thinks I'm an expert or something, but I don't have an answer. so what do y'all think?

> This has been bothering me for a few years. Their are a > pair of words used in carpentry, and I can't for the life of me, > recall what these two words are. I had heard them many years > ago, and they have escaped my memory. If anybody can tell me > what these two words are, I would much appreciate it. > I recall that they were one syllable words. The word > "kerf" comes to mind, and that word may be similar to the words I > am looking for, but the word "kerf" means somthing entirely different. > > When making certain cuts with a circular saw, the saw > doesn't make a straight butt edge at the end of the cut, due to the > circular nature of the blade. There is a little piece of wood > left over, which generally needs to be cut with a hand saw, to make > the end of the cut straight, yet not "overcutting" into the piece > you want to save. > There is a specific WORD for this little leftover piece of > wood. What is that word? > > This word actually comes as a pair of words. In > different cuts of wood, there is complimentary piece leftover > wood, not the inside leftover piece, but an outside leftover piece, > which also has it's own name. That would be the other word I am > looking for. > > I have often heard, when a person doesn't know how to > spell a word, someone will tell them "look it up in the > dictionary". Well, how are they suppose to look it up if they > don't know how to spell it? > I sometimes wish there were a "back door" to the > dictionary. When you know the definition of a word, but you don't > know the word, there should be some way to look it up.
Reply to
bridgerfafc

nobody else has a name for that little remainder either, eh?

Reply to
bridgerfafc

I guess not...

Myself, I never knew that little piece had a name; I've heard it just called the drop or waste or somesuch, even though those are general terms not specific to that, um, thing.

-Phil Crow

Reply to
phildcrowNOSPAM

Not me. Looks like you can claim discovery by christening it with some variant of your name. Kerf bridger? Works for me. ;)

RicodJour

It doesn't. Not everything needs a name where a description will do. When you clip your toenails and the first cut is incomplete, and leaves a bit hanging until you nip it off, that doesn't have a name either. It's just chatter for the sake of chatter.

Reply to
Guess who

In the days of the great explorers, the discoverer of an unnamed land got to name it. Go for it.

Reply to
BuilderBob46