A bit OT: Like Duh....

Is it me or are all local governments like this. Towns and cities around here are always trying to update things and make them more tourism friendly. I personally think its a keep up with the joneses thingy. Anyway the city north of me has a community theater they are updating. Aside from the improper bathroom placement issue (across the street about

200yds), it not a bad idea really. Well the bids just came in. Now the officials are gripping that the lowest bid is about 1/2 million above the original estimate. The estimate is at least 2 seasons old (probably end of winter). Ok the like duh part. 1. estimates are just that an estimate based on ideals. 2. The price of lumber has gone up around almost 100% or more and they are griping about half a mil. They are insisting on it being ready by spring of '04. They are hoping to get the price reduced. I am totally glad I am not the contractor.
Reply to
Young Carpenter

2 of 3 rule:

Quality

Price

Speed

Pick two.

This is virtually universal across all industries.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Coming in over estimate isn't at all unusual even with very current estimates. One of the problems is the feds have this prevailing wage theory that requires payment of a certain hourly wages. Interesting thing is that it seems the only people who get this rate of pay are those working on government projects. No one else comes close to those rates. We just had one built with the intention of being capable of preparing meals. This requires a hood over the stove. The hood was going to cost $25K to install during construction so it was dropped. Now that the building is completed they have an estimate to tear into everything and retrofit one -- $8K.

Reply to
Scratch Ankle Wood

"The hood was going to cost $25K to install during construction so it was dropped. Now that the building is completed they have an estimate to tear into everything and retrofit one -- $8K."

If I remember correctly, here in the great white north in new construction kitchen "parts" have to be new. But in a retrofit, they can be used. So the use of a used hood could be part of the price drop.

MTCW

Reply to
Nut Tree

Nope, new items.