Subject Author Posted Replies

How to hold a hand saw?
I recall reading a description of Thais ripping timbers that way while sitting straddling the timbers. The hooked their thumbs through the tote and cut away from their groin. Kept the family jewels...
11
11

Quietest Shop Vac? Need in a hurry!
You will not find a so-called "quite" shop vac at any of those stores. A good quite shop vac will cost you a minimum of around $400 and go up from there. ?ID=202&HdnSource=index&StoreID=That one...
33
33

How can I darken my kitchen cupboards without sanding to bare wood
We want to darken our honey oak colored cupboards to a darker brown. They are lightly stained with some kind of clear coat on top. There are also a lot of them, and sanding to bare wood is not worth...
7
7

Wooden Sabres or sSwords
Anyone got any plans for making Wooden Tia Chi Sabres or Swords ? Thanks in Advance Todd
1
1

New Cherry Kitchen Cabinets, Bathroom Vanities, Window and Door trim (w/pic)
Hello everyone, Here is a picture of my new Cherry Kitchen Cabinets, Bathroom Vanities, Window and Door trim, you can see, I still have a little more work left to do on them... Thanks for looking,...
7
7

How to secure air cleaner to ceiling? (w/pic)
As Artemus already pointed out, it appears you used an anchor shackle, not a turnbuckle, to connect the chain to the eyebolt. Rather than a screwed-in connection, I'd personally be more comfortable...
14
14

aagh! how do you paint trim and get it flat smooth and shiney.?
Any paint guru's out there? I'm screwing up. OK - so I spent a *lot* of time molding and fitting some house trim (base boards, lots of window frame and trim, coving etc) in douglas fir. There are some...
25
25

FWW article on Drill Press Comparison
I believe it was this year, possibly issue 192. Can someone verify this for me? TIA Norm
1
1

Re: White Population in the World Set to Drop from 17% to 7% by 2050
3,893,635 - Total population of the United States in 1790 according to the U.S. Census. 694,280 / 59,150 - Population of enslaved Africans / free blacks in the United States in 1790. of blacks in the...

OT: Why Righty Tighty Lefty Loosey?
OK, its not strictly a woodworking questio. But, from time to time I read comments form some "Engineering types" who might have the answer. Now, wiseacres, I know turning to the right tightens screws...
39
39

1 phase v 3 phase powermatic tablesaw
Um, no. In the US, residential electric service is almost exclusively single phase. By tapping the secondary on the (single phase) transformer appropriately, you get two hot legs that are 180 degrees...
10
10

Laminate Trim router opinions needed
Latest project is replacing the kitchen tile countertops (whoever thought tile was a good idea for countertops?) with laminate while we decide what we eventually want to do with the kitchen (that...
14
14

Building with Hand Tools
Does anyone know of good resources, either Internet or books, where I can learn how to build furniture using only (or mostly) hand tools? TIA
11
11

cast iron kettle
Does any one know how to season a cast-iron "tea kettle"? I use one on my wood stove to help provide moisture to the air in the winter. It has a strong tendency to rust in side the kettle. While this...
31
31

INSPIRATION - Ergonomic Guitar
Doing a massiv book search, not even vaguely related to guitrs, and found this. JOAT The whole of life is a learning process. - John Keel Guitar Designs. Ergonomics. Guitar Making.