8/4 Cost Per Boardfoot Versus 4/4 Cost?

From what I know from my local suppliers, I totally agree.

I don't get the 2X price the OP mentioned, though...

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

absolutely! i think you found the brass ring doug. also the cost of fuel to run the kiln comes into play and we all know how that is! It takes more than twice as long to dry 8/4. I buy green and air dry it to save some money but that takes some planning ahead and sometimes ya just dont have the time!

skeez

Reply to
skeez

Just to add to the current discussion, I happened to the yard yesterday to buy some white oak:

4/4 was $4.76 5/4 was $5.76 8/4 was $5.46

All S2S.

Reply to
Larry Bud

Even more, check my guy out:

Compare white oak, where the difference is as much as $4/bf for quartersawn, and sapele, where the difference is only $0.35/bf.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

Have they quit carrying the Argentine hardwoods? I haven't been by there in a while and I notice that they no longer have them in the price list.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Now that you mention it, the "exotic" section at the bottom of the list is gone.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

If so it's a bummer. They had some really nice stuff.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I can't believe how much people pay for quality wood. Do a google search for sawmills in your area, also check

for them. Then go talk to the owner. Most small sawmills will sell you whatever you need. I've bought as little as one board, or 1000bft lots. If you can dry your own wood, it gets even cheeper. The last lot of birdseye maple I bought was $1.00 a board foot, $0.50 for character grade walnut, and $0.50 for cherry. Here's a link to some cheep lumber in East Tennessee:

the ads online today:

KILN DRIED LUMBER Red Oak, White Oak, Hard Maple, Soft Maple, Walnut, Poplar, Hickory, Ash & Cherry Call for info & prices

LUMBER 500 BD ft kiln dried cherry, 8' lengths, 6-8" widths, 1" thick $500

LUMBER CEDAR LUMBAR, 510lf $1020 for all

LUMBER CEDAR, 100 board foot $200 for all

LUMBER CHERRY AND walnut 100 board feet $150

2500 FT LUMBER MIXED CHERRY, Walnut, Oak, Poplar $1500

LUMBER WALNUT, 220+ bft, kiln dried, lv msg $500

LUMBER WALNUT, 500' +, 35yr seasoned $600, also 100' of Wormy Chestnut $150

You can f>>

Reply to
Ron c.

I don't have time to blow 4 or 5 hours to drive to the closest sawmill, especially since I don't have a truck and can only haul around a few pieces in my Saturn. And if it's to save $50, it's still not worth it when I could use one of those hours to do some side programming and make $80.

Reply to
Larry Bud

If you think his figures show a 50 buck savings, then you need to back off and re-think. A buck a board foot for kiln dried cherry should yield sufficient FAS, commons and whatnot to save at least 500 bucks. If you get lucky, that amount could triple.

Can you borrow a truck for a day? Attach a trailer to your Saturn?

One of the fine advantages to country living is that what I don't have, my friends or neighbors do have, so hauling pretty much anything isn't a hassle, except for the work and the gas.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Thanks for that link. Where in etn are you?

jc

Reply to
Joe

Just look for a bunch of chickens ...

Reply to
Swingman

Absolutely right. And you'd be even better off by staying with your programming and paying someone else to do the woodworking you want done. Stick with what you're best at.

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin

That'd be dandy if I lived somewhere that had trees.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Have you ever actually been to any of areas some of us live in?

Charlie Self, remember "East Westchester County"?

I have absolutely no way to store more than say, 150 bf/ft of stock, much less unusable stock that isn't dry. Since a 1/2 acre empty lot in my neighborhood goes for ~$75,000, I think the lumber dealer is providing me with a good value by holding all that stock until I need it.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

That's funny, I don't care who you are!

Can a Woodmiser saw cactus?

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

I was born in Yonkers, raised in an area including Mt. Vernon, N. Pelham, New Rochelle, and then up to Katonah and the "country." Actually, when we moved ther ein '53, Katonah was pretty much country. I left Westchester in January 1958, and have had no reason to return for about 35 years now. The friends I had from that era are living in places like Santa Barbara and upstate NY and Arizona and Nevada.

Reply to
Charlie Self