45 degree lock mitre bit...help

Has anyone used or is using one of the 45 degree lock motre bit? Like the one listed here...

bought one of these and I"ve tried my best to get it to come out right and I'm having a heck of a time. I set it up per the instructions and can even make two passes with two separate pieces and the fit together perfect so I know the fence and height set up is correct. I then try to make a pass with the piece horiz. to the table making sure that it stays flat to the table and then the vert. piece I have clamped to a guide so that it stays 90 to the table and flat up against the fence.....and it just doesn't see to come out right... Any suggestions? Thanks, Palmer

Reply to
Palmer

Try this:

trick is to do two horiz to set the height, then two vert to set the fence. *Then* do one of each to do a corner.

If that doesn't help, define "doesn't seem to come out right" with more detail.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Reply to
Palmer

A zero clearance insert in your router fence will help. Making sure that your stock is FLAT and the edge straight and square to the face - all are essential. Any warping, twisting, cupping or bowing and you won't get a nice uniform cut along the routed edge

A pair of quick and dirty jigs like these, which also serve as backers to minimize tear out at the end of the cut, are also handy.. (all one line so watch the line wrap)

charlie b

Plus: How do you know that your fence is square to the table? When I got an engineers square from Lee Valley (accurate to .001) I found that all my squares were off by a bit. Had to adjust them. Previously had trouble with matching up glue edges etc. because I was setting things off by a bit.

Reply to
Will

Palmer,

When I purchased mine from Rockler, I also purchased a plastic setup jig that set the fence and the height correctly. After a few test cuts, it was working fine. I would recommend a zero clearance fence.

David

Reply to
DL