220V 50A split into 15A and 20A?

I'm not an electricion...but this seems to make sense.

I have a single 220V 50Amp circut into my garage. It has it's own breaker in the garage from the main board and one outlet - probably for a dryer. Could a licensed and insured electrician replace the single breaker subpanel with a 2 (or more) circut subpanel and break the 220V circut into two? I'm wanting to run a 220V 15A circut and get a Grizzly G0444Z contractor saw and a 20A circut for a heater.

Thanks in advance!!

Reply to
Jeremy

Save the 2P-50A C'bkr.

Go to your local DIY that will have a 12/24 load center.

It accepts 12, 1" c'bkrs and 24, 1/2" c'bkrs.

Add a main c'bkr kit, then use the existing 2P-50A as the main, and you are good to go.

HTH

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Yes, this is possible. The sub panel will need to be fed by an adequate circuit breaker from the main panel (it probably already is) and a different subpanel can be installed to divide up the power as you wish.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Ketchum

In my garage, I took an existing 50A 220V line coming in and split it into 2

15A and a 20A through a subpanel.

Reply to
Brian

Does your 50a circuit have both a ground and a neutral? If so, then yes you can put in a subpanel; just be sure to have separate ground and neutral bars.

If not, then you can't do it and meet code. Sure, it will work fine, but someone could put in a 120v circuit without knowing the proper wiring is not there.

Reply to
John

Reply to
Wilson