1x8x6 finished pine...what's a fair price?

Hi,

I've got an opportunity to buy some 1x8 pine in 6ft lengths. It is finished lumber (planed), and the guy is looking for an offer on it. I'd like to take about 50 boards from him, but what would be a good price to offer on it? I'm very new to woodworking and this would actually be my first purchase of lumber. Thanks in advance.

Chris Ottawa, Canada

Reply to
Chris

Depends on the grade. Is it clear or does it have many knots? Each board is about 4 board feet. To give you an idea of the range of prices, rough cut I can buy it from $2 each for lowest grade to $8 for the best grade. Finished would be more, of course.

Go to the home center and check out their prices. Offer him about 50% to

75% of that if the quality is the same. Most home centers carry at least two grades. You get much more waste with the lower grades, but if you are using small lengths, it can be quite a bargain as you can easily cut out the knots or splits. . Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net
Edwin Pawlowski

Thanks! I bought 50 boards from him for $200 (CDN). The wood is beautiful, kiln dried and finished. Worked out to be a good bargain, now I just have to make some space so I can start working with it. Cheers!

Chris

Reply to
Chris