10 versus 14 degree dovetails

hello,

what is the difference between 10 and 14 degree dovetails (appart from the angle), why choose one rather than the other?

I am asking because I just discovered that my dovetail bit (Woodcraft $5 on sale bits) is 10 degree but that the only butterfly/spine bit (freud) is 14 degree....

do you know of any 10 degree butterfly/spine bit?

cyrille

Reply to
cyrille de brebisson

The steeper angle is typically used in softer woods such as pine, the more shallow in hard...

As for the availability question, no I don't have a source otomh...

--

Reply to
dpb

The harder timbers have shallower pitches softer timbers have deeper pitches

If your using a hardwood that is quite soft (many deciduous timbers are softer than coniferous timbers its better to use a deeper pitch )

Reply to
steve robinson

If you're using a dovetail jig, be aware that the depth of cut is usually different for each angle ... this can be very important when cutting half-blind dovetails!

10 degree bit: usually has a depth of cut of 7/16" 14 degree bit: depth of cut of is usually 5/8"

... be sure you consider this with regard to your stock thickness if you're cutting half-blind dovetails.

Reply to
Swingman

Aesthetics.

10 degrees works just as well as 14 on softwoods. 0 degrees works fine -- aka box joint. Old ones seem to have failed at the same rate as dovetails.
Reply to
Ferd Farkel