Degree Days

Some of you may be interested in this.

I just got an oil delivery and wanted to calculate the real difference in efficiency of my old versus new boiler. I use the mentioned web site to get the information I needed from a nearby weather station. This is the way the oil companies figure the automatic delivery for you.

My savings over the past 10 months has been 40%. A real savings of 248 gallons. The new boiler is paying for itself in oil cost.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You should inform what boiler it is and post a link since few know of that brand.

Reply to
ransley

You should inform what boiler it is and post a link since few know of that brand.

The boiler is a System 2000

Very pleased with it. The hot water system is a big saver over the summer booting the overall savings to the 40% mark. Last year in about the same time I bought 668 gallons versus 372 for the same period, but using degree days compensates for seasonal variations and slight time differences. .

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

So, YOU're responsible for the economic slowdown? Get with it, man! We need your money!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Now that I'm using less oil, I'm donating money to Camels for Kids, a charity that helps poor kids in Saudi Arabia to have their own camel to ride to school.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

So it seems you are the first person id believe that this system might actualy be better, and honestly advertised, since I dont think you work for the co or heard about it before I mentioned it a year-years ago. Does this have a Energy Star rating? Isnt what you have rated only at mid 80s in efficency? I thought you needed something like 92% minimum for Energy star certification and rebates. I wonder if it would be better than a condensing for a gas boiler use.

Reply to
ransley

LOL

Reply to
LouB

So it seems you are the first person id believe that this system might actualy be better, and honestly advertised, since I dont think you work for the co or heard about it before I mentioned it a year-years ago. Does this have a Energy Star rating? Isnt what you have rated only at mid 80s in efficency? I thought you needed something like 92% minimum for Energy star certification and rebates. I wonder if it would be better than a condensing for a gas boiler use.

I'm both cynical and skeptical so when I read clams of "up to" I perk up and take notice. Energy Kinetics claims and "up to " of 40% so I figured I'd come in less than that. Happily, I was wrong and so far have achieved that. Once I hit a fill hear I'll be able to tell better. My thinking is, the summer savings was even higher and brought up the 32% of the heating season way up. No that we're heating more, it may drop down to the mid to high

30's. Still very good.

Yes, it is Energy Star rated. While the AFUE is 87.5% the real rating is higher than most designs. You can see the comparisons here

My old system was the one in the fist column of the graph at 55%.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Humbug! When I was a kid, we didn't have camels. Eight or ten of us used to have to ride on an elephant to get to school.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I heard they were using the money for Camel cigarettes.

Reply to
Tony

Tony posted for all of us...

Nope, blunts or White Owls....