Subject Author Posted Replies

Motorised Valve
How can I tell whether the motorised valve on the hot water circuit is working correctly. I have been having a few problems with cold water and noticed that the manual/auto lever on the valve has no...
5
5

Boiler siting
Our potterton gas back boiler is about 16 years old. Although professionally serviced annually and currently working OK, it will obviously require replacement at some point. I understand that with a...
8
8

Inspection chamber
Hi all, Anyone a rough idea of how much it would cost to move an inspection chamber about 3 meter's. There is currently 2 inspection chambers about 6 meters apart, chamber A is supposed to be moved...
4
4

Fibreglass flat roof
OK so I am cheating as I don't like heights and will get the job done for me but I would still like some advice. I have a large rear flat roof loft extension (roof circa 22 foot by 18 foot) which was...
10
10

Why does my MCB trip ?
Last summer I installed a set of PIR controlled outdoor halogen lights on driveway and inside a group of garages. Idea is that you are lit up as you drive down to garages and park in them with no...
10
10

Web supplier of disabled handrails?
Anyone got recommendations? Google not too good. Am just after the basic steel tube with plastic grip type, like a very flat U with flanges for wall fitting. I don't want to put a rail on brackets....
7
7

Cental Heating Air Lock
I think I must have an air lock in my central heating system, it consists of a wall mounted boiler, cold water tank and header tank in the loft, the water pump is in the airing cupboard next to the...
2
2

c/h failed; cold weather coming; help!
I hope someone can help me out here! My heating (baxi back boiler) was working this morning, but isn't now. But the hot water's ok so boiler, thermostat, pilot, pump etc are working? The room stat,...
12
12

using a oil boiler and a wood burner back boiler
I am buying a house which has oil fired central heating, it also has a woodburing stove in the lounge, the wood burner has a back boiler on it which isn't connected. Can I connect the back boiler in...
6
6

Ideal Classic RS boiler installation
Does anyone have the installation manual for the Ideal Classic RS boiler? I'm thinking of buying a 15kW version of this boiler and to get an idea of where the pipework and balanced flue needs to be....
2
2

Damn downlighters - can't unscrew bulbs!!!
In my kitchen I have these large downlighter bulbs which the previous owners fitted. The thing is, 2 bulbs have gone and I can't get them unscrewed! There is just so little to get hold of on the...
17
17

Conventional CH boilers on the way out?
Someone mentioned that conventional gravity fed back boilers are being phased out. Is there any truth in this and, if so, since I can't see me ever wanting a combi, what are my options when it comes...
36
36

undoing cast iron soil pipe joint
Folks, I wish to separate two sections of a cast iron soil pipe, which appear to have been socket joined using (lead?) solder, covered by bitchemen (which I have chipped away). Is there any technique...
8
8

Switch gangs and ways?
Could someone please explain the difference (and significance) of gangs and ways as they are used in lighting circuits. Thanks, BraileTrail
6
6

Cost of re-tiling roof
Hi. Had a small leak around the chimney flashing recently so I was up on the roof today patching it. While up there and looking around I noticed a lot of tiles were getting thin and cracking. Tiles...
2
2