Motorised Valve

How can I tell whether the motorised valve on the hot water circuit is working correctly. I have been having a few problems with cold water and noticed that the manual/auto lever on the valve has no action. Operating the lever on the central heating valve has some resistance and is working. The lever on the HW valve has no resistance what so ever. Do I need to replace the whole valve?

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Rayner

I would expect that if the valve is open to heat the hot water. If you switch the hot water off, the valve should close. If it doesn't, try switching off the whole heating system which should surely remove power from the motorised valve. If that doesn't help, sounds like the valve is mechanically stuck.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

You should be able to tell whether valves are working by simply feeling the temperature of the pipes coming from the valve. Allow the system to cool then set it to hot water and if necessary turn up the thermostat. The pipe going to the valve and then on to your HW cylinder should become hot.

Turn that off and select room heating, the pipe going to your radiators should now become hot.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

If it is broke you may be lucky and be able to change just the motor. It sounds like a mechanical device so you might be lucky (I had a horrible turnscrew one..uhh!)

Take off the cover (careful of the eletrics - take precautions) and if the motor is 'cam shape' then you wil be able to get one down your local BanQ for £15. Otherwise off to the plumbers merchants.

If not then it's a new valve, cost £50 and go down to your plumbers merchants, where you'll get proper advice.

The tricky part might be the wiring but there's replacement versions which are easy to wire in, as is the plumbing if you know how to drain your system.

Good luck.

Reply to
MattP

Harry Bloomfield retched Motorised Valve onto my recliner:

I'll remember that. Should come in handy when I inherit your house.

Reply to
Combine Harvesters are EVil

Hopefully not unless the whole thing is seized. If it's a Honeywell-type valve it is possible that the motor has packed up. I have had them go about once in three years on average. A new actuator -- just the top part -- from Screwfix costs 8 quid and they are not too difficult to fit. I keep a spare one in the house because they always go at weekends. If the problem is no HW flow try opening the valve manually with the lever: make sure the system and thermostats are 'on', then if HW comes through it's probable the actuator has failed, especially if the flow ceases when you allow the lever to run back under the spring. You probably know that these valves can be kept open manually -- there is a cut out that the lever can be 'parked' in. HTH mutley

Reply to
mutley