Subject Author Posted Replies

Removing burnt on carbon from non-stick fryin g pan
I'm looking for recommendations from people who have successfully tried the solution (if any). :-) Over a period of time a non-stick frying pan has gradually accumulated more and more carbon. Internet...
24
24

Totally OT - Covid App Operation
Hi Guys Does the Covid app work over mobile data, or is proximity to other devices detected via the phone location on the telephone network. Just asking cos I am on pay-as-you-go, using Wi-Fi hotspots...
11
11

Inverter gone bang!
A machine at work hadn't been used for a week, switched it on and BANG! Turns out the inverter in it (Moeller DF4-120) is knackered, there is blackening on the circuit board. To those in the know, is...
33
33

Combo microwave and convection oven sharing the same heat source?
A very old friend, my Sharp combination microwave, convection oven and grill lost functionality last night. Currently the grill heats as usual, the fan blows and the turntable rotates but neither the...
18
18

Sonoff - dangerous?
I've replaced the lights under our kitchen cupboards with LED strips, and I'm stupidly pleased with myself. The old ones were all individually switched, which was a faff. The new ones are switched by...
7
7

[OTish]Temperature sensor thread sealant
I have a brass temperature sensor about 14mm in diameter, no 'O' ring or shoulder, just seals on the threads into an aluminium cylinder head. What should I use to seal it? Nothing, ptfe tape, ordinary...
11
11

Tapping into existing plumbing
Struggling to find the keywords to guide me to buy online those plumbing gadgets which clamp on the outside of, and pierce through, existing pipework to attach a dishwasher feed or something similar.
26
26

Missing screws for (no longer available) IKEA product
Inherited an all metal clothes rail that came disassembled. When trying to put it back together this morning I realised that 10 screws were missing (out of quite a few altogether). I managed to...
20
20

NHS Covid App - Phantom contacts
Well after a few weeks running the app it finally went bleep yesterday. My wife saw the msg when it arrived - I didn't. It flashed up something about a possible recent contact and then a second msg...
18
18

OT: Another Currys PC World scam
I had an e-mail an hour ago, purporting to come from Curry's - PC World, The Five Swans, 14 St. Mary's Place, Newcastle upon Tyne, thanking me for my order, payment status: unclaimed. There were...
11
11

Don't lend your tools!
"I bet you've a circular saw... I'll bring it back on Monday... Can I hang onto it until Wednesday?" (This was last Wednesday) I got the saw back today, lendee adamant that the spare battery wasn't in...
23
23

Boiler installation - flushing
I have a well-known firm installing a WB boiler today, to replace our old boiler. They say that their normal way of doing things is to connect up the new boiler, add chemicals, and flush the system...
12
12

mastic instead of grout
Is this an ok solution to a leaking shower tray? The tray has an upstand lip but the tiler elected to start full tiles above this lip and used a cut tile beneath it to bridge the gap. The result is...
3
3

There's a rat my loft (what am I gonna do?)
Last year I had a couple of mice up in my loft, which I duly caught. However I also noticed rat droppings up there. Noticed an end tile on the roof, where it meets the brickline, was raised up...
30
30

Cleaning grout off tiles.
Was grouting some new tiles, using the combined waterproof adhesive/grout, and got called away before finishing off. The actual grouting is fine - but a lot of residue on the tile faces, now rock...
36
36