Subject Author Posted Replies

OT: The North Sea Link.
I see the power interconnector cable linking us to Norway is now up & running. That's good news.
22
22

OT - EcoBollox from the Observer via the Grauniad
<>This contains gems such as "Since 1985, there has been a 70% increase in household water use in England as more and more homes have been fitted with showers, dishwashers and washing machines." ?A...
30
30

Imperial to metric radiator conversions.
I've got an old central heating radiator where the bottom has rusted out over the summer. As far as I can see the panel width is 50" and the pipe-centres 53.5" Everything for sale is measured in...
39
39

OT'ish: How to set-up an RSS feed?
I want to get notified automagically when new planning applications are submitted within a certain area. I think I need to set-up an RSS feed to do this but haven't used them before so need some help....
10
10

New uses for multitool and dremel.
Many of us will be familiar with the problem of using power tools on thermoplastics, that the frictional heating softens and starts to melt the plastic. The other day I wanted to repurpose one of...

Lights on wr1
There are no lights showing on my box and if I press the overide Dutton nothing happens. Does this mean no power is getting to the box?

London Marathon - FlightRadar24 (a bit OT)
A look at flight ASR1101 is interesting!
23
23

No official news yet about energy supplier folding.
Strange, but true. I would have expected an email by now to confirm the situation. I sent meter readings in on Thursday.
19
19

Cordless tool battery
I recently bought a cordless angle grinder from Aldi, 70 quid and I am impressed even if it is old brush commutated. The battery is nominally 40V (actual 36.5) 2.5Ah. If I re purpose it to test the...
10
10

Cure your crappy Citroen* infortainment system with this one weird trick ..
With tiresome predictability, the infotainment system on our Citroen decided to fuck up on the first long journey in 18 months. Set off with my phone playing a podcast via bluetooth and 5 minutes into...
3
3

Woodstove fan direction.
One woodstove is in an old fireplace, the builder's opening, which I have rendered the inside of. To the sides of the stove, about 200mm. To the back, 70-80. Above, say 400mm, easily enough for the...
2
2

OT - Driving ban appeals process - More answers
He says he didn't get a notification of the court date at all and was anyway working away in the very north od Scotland solidly for several weeks. He did get a letter asking him how he wished to plead...

Baffling phone socket wiring
A friend of mine asked for my help with his daughter's house she's just moved into. The issue was that she had a telephone socket on a cable hanging in mid-air in a door way. The cable vanished into...
7
7

More Matt Ridley
Personally I prefer to read his articles, but here is an uncritical interview on energy topics. Just talking heads, so OK for Brian. Matt Ridley went on talkRadio with Julia Hartley-Brewer earlier...
1
1

20 motorists follow a tanker to a building site instead of to a petrol station.... :-)
Driver Johnny Anderson says about 20 vehicles followed him to a building site in Northamptonshire.
12
12