Subject Author Posted Replies

Power Brownout
I'd love to be able to d-i-y this! On the 1st Jan the electric power here was cut for an hour. I notified UK Power. When it came back, the supply was a at pretty steady 160v. I notified UK Power....
33
33

’ Here Are 2 Key Reasons.
You are erroneously assuming that infrastructure to support new builds in villages and small towns exists. It's not just a matter of assigning a few fields for a housing estate and expecting things...
6
6

Special delivery (signed for post) is pointless
Why do people post items requiring a signature? Guess what, most people are out during the day. Those items are left to get returned to sender, I can't be bothered with this nonsense.
177
177

Mains current flow indicator
Have I got the right term? I'm looking for something that might fit between an electric water pump and the mains socket and light up whenever the pump is in operation. Most of the time - for days at a...
30
30

Mech Eng: how much clearance?
Gentlemen, I have a spindle which is .636mm diameter. What's the ideal size of bushing to fit around it snugly so there's no play but with enough clearance for a few drops of thin oil? It needs to...
23
23

Minimum Temp for Rendering
Hi all, I was going to mix up some sand and cement to repair some cracks in a concrete window sill earlier today, but then remembered you're not supposed to do this if it's below a certain temperature...
2
2

hours?
I just get a white screen when launching Google on my Android 5.1 phone. Everything else that used to work on it still works the same and Google still works on other devices so I'm guessing that a...
10
10

Shall I convert from TT to TNCS ?
Shall I convert from TT to TNCS ? National Grid said I can in an email. It would mean connecting an earth wire into a connection under a grommet in the front of the main fues box where power comes in,...
23
23

Are iphones particularly tough?
"Found an iPhone on the side of the road... Still in airplane mode with half a battery and open to a baggage claim for #AlaskaAirlines ASA1282 Survived a 16,000 foot drop perfectly in tact!"
48
48

DIY muscles?
I remember in the 90s, you could go to Boots and you could buy one of these machines to develop abdominal muscles. I am reaching a certain age and I am gym-phobic. Do these machines work? SF
22
22

A chilling forecast.
From the Telegraph... "Economic growth as we know it is impossible if governments shift to 100 per cent renewable energy, a renowned French climatologist has said. Jean-Marc Jancovici, the author of...
65
65

Modern electronics and radio interference
It seems to me that although things like lighting and power supplies are more efficient and small, the care taken to suppress the sort of crud they radiate down the mains is ridiculous. As a person...
74
74

Octopus Tracker tariff - advance rate warning
I've just changed to their Tracker tariff, and I've heard there is a website you can sign up to receive a text, the day before, suggesting what the following days tariff will be. Does anyone know...
3
3

OK/Hey Google issues
Trying to set this all up on my Galaxy A7. In theory, according to all the settings, it should recognise "OK Google" and activate the assistant. I have enabled the "even on lock screen setting". In...
2
2

Internet connection
Ok so Open Reach may have finally fixed it! Third visit over 4 weeks. Fault appears to have been due to water ingress to distribution cabinet in contact with unsleeved wiring. The fault was initially...
132
132