Subject Author Posted Replies

Lidl jet washer
Any opinions on this ? P the 1st >>> Mike P the 1st Universal motor, alluminium pump head. Reasonable performance inc water flow. Hose a bit short. Three year warranty - about £28 a year then bin it....
9 years ago 5

amp new PSU capacitors
My approx 9 year old AV amp started buzzing / humming sounds like 100Hz, slowly got louder until drowning out the music ! PSU caps I should think. They are labeled "kenwood for audio". I've got the...
9 years ago 44

Putting a TV aerial socket on a tiled wall
I need to put a TV aerial socket/faceplate on a tiled kitchen wall. If it lines up neatly with nearby switches and sockets, it won't line up neatly with tile boundaries. The tiles are new enough that...
9 years ago 8

It pays to shop around
Customer wanted a handrail up the stairs & had looked in Wickes. They wanted £48 for a 3.6m x 41mm handrail & nearly £9 for the brass brackets. £84 in total. At a local timber merchant the handrail...
9 years ago 13

Improving roof void insulation
Our single story living room extension is in serious need of a roof void insulation upgrade. There's no access from below so I plan to take some tiles off and roll out some glass wool. Is there a...
9 years ago 2

Trailers etc.
Hi There, I have been making trailers for myself for years of various sizes and purposes and I am sure I could do it for reward. I have made from tiny to quite huge. Has anyone had the experience of...
9 years ago 14

Last nights grid
Was the grid having fun last night? Our voltage normally fits within the 235 to 245 range 24/7 but last night the UPS went into voltage trim modes several times, it does this when the input gets above...
9 years ago 2

Wall insulation query
I plan to redevelop a porch into a toilet, where the porch is located under the original roof (i.e. it has an existing recessed front door). As a result, I will create a new external front wall, and...
9 years ago

removing thomas sanderson blinds.
hi all i would appreciate any help on how to remove my thomas sanderson blinds from my conservatory windows for cleaning. the type of blinds i have are pleated and they are fitted discretely on the...
9 years ago 7

Are my window handles interchangeable?
Please take a look at my window handles: they interchangeable? How do I remove them? I can see one screw. Is the other underneath what looks like a covering cap? Is this simply prised up with a...
9 years ago 15

Metal/stud detector
Following on from Adam's adventures in the Holy Pipe land, anyone got any recommendations as to a half decent pipe/cable/stud detector. There seem to be some exciting ones with radar[1] and all sorts...
9 years ago 8

RCD Failure modes
Been having lots of trips on my main RCD, mainly in the small hours of the night. I've isolated each individual circuit, and checked with a megger to earth for leakage and there is zilch. On the last...
9 years ago 4

Bi-metal thermostat manufacturer
Does anyone know who makes these ? logo is visible on the right of the lid : need to find a replacement. The markings on the top read NA38 94076 Z0110A02C1. Thanks in advance. What make is the washing...
9 years ago 8

Had the boilerman in today
Quite a lot of soot he vacuumed out. Then I said there was a "noise" when it starts up from cold, a regular tapping. Initially he thought it was pipework expanding but when he put everything back...
9 years ago 14

Gate valve?
I need to sort out 22mm IMI solder fitting gate valve, in a very awkward location to try to get at, with a weep down its spindle. If managed to slow its weep down, by wrapping the spindle with a bit...
9 years ago 2