Subject Author Posted Replies

Cole & Mason DUO 2 in 1 Salt/pepper Mill
Hi all Any-body ever taken one of these to pieces, if so how ?. I know these have life time guarantee, but have old one here that has seized up on the salt side , and thought I'd have a play Thanks...

Curious about boiler fan failure symptoms
Vaillant Turbomax non-condesning. Just changed a *slightly* noisy fan, slightly rumbly for no more than 2-3 seconds when first spun after a few hours inactivity, otherwise apparently fine. Have heard...
5
5

Slate paving
I am planning to cover a rather ugly concrete slab by our back door with slate paving: you look at the picture you can (hopefully) see that the front part of the slab has slightly dropped but it...
1
1

Heating oil: Has composition been changed?
When I mentioned my ongoing boiler problem to the neighbour, she said she'd had exactly the same problem and her heating engineer had told her that a while ago (don't know when exactly) the oil...
15
15

Legal question - party wall shenanigans
My third and final post of the day! As I may have mentioned elsethread, I've recently moved into my new house, = which is a small Victorian detached cottage in town. There are plans to bu= ild on the...
33
33

Cost of moving a consumer unit
I've received a quote from an electrician to move a consumer unit (a distan= ce of less than a metre). He's quoted =A3335.00, including a contingency o= f =A3100 to extend or re-route one or two...
17
17

Anyone using "The Oil Club?"
Hi All, Has anyone mjoined and used The Oil Club ( in order to get better pricing on thier heating oil? It looks good, and I have signed up, just wanted to know if there are any Gotchas before I...
12
12

Cheapest upvc windows?
Where's cheap?
19
19

Leaky plumbing under the kitchen sink.
On my kitchen sink I replaced the original old style twist taps with 1/4 turn lever taps, cheap Homebase ones. However now when I open the cold lever tap quickly a plumbing fixture under the sink...
8
8

Today was not a good day to fit outside lights at Tescos in York:-(
Anyone else noticed the rain and flooded roads? York was not too bad but the onward journey was a bugger when I got to Thorne. Mind you it was only three 500W £5 a go PIR halogens that I fitted. Now...
9
9

Totally OT. "Ruth is stranger than Richard"
A Belgian is seeking to have his marriage annulled after discovering that his Indonesian wife of 19 years had been born a man.
2
2

Where to buy old fashioned light switch screws.
Have kust decorated a bedroom (well, I did first and second fix on the 13A sockets, and SWMBO did the painting). And I am now wishing i'd replaced the backbox for the light switch as it takes the olde...
8
8

TOT Replacement(s) for TCP Ointment (2023 Update)
Have been a great believer in TCP ointment over the years, for soothing and helping to heal all sorts of things such as: cuts bites Farmers". Alas, even on line sources of this wonderful commidity...
52
52

Plastic Oil Tank life expectancy?
Hi All, SWMBO is getting concerned......... Plastic Oil Tanks are guaranteed for 10 years, and ours is now approx 14. Anyone know how long it might be expected to last (Titan 1000ish litre upright...
16
16

GU10 double adaptor?
Anyone know where I can get a GU10 version of this? simply wish to put two GU10 lamps in one fitting. They're LEDs, so the heat/power draw is not a problem. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220909755545I