Paint!

About 12 months ago I painted the wood in the house with brilliant white gloss. It was a decent brand. 6 months later it started to go yellow. I did a moan to the manufactures and was told that that is the way it goes these days. I then just painted over it with decent quality brilliant white bathroom and kitchen water based paint. The yellow is bleeding through. If I give it another coat will the yellow still bleed through? Or, am I doomed?
On 14/06/2013 12:08, Mr Pounder wrote:

Crown? Dulux? http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2012/03/dulux.html
--
mailto:newsadmac(dot}myzencouk

Crown. There was no warning on the tin. And yes, I have seen the link before. Thanks for the reply

On 14/06/2013 14:50, Mr Pounder wrote:

In theory a shellac based coating should stop the bleeding yellow. Knotting, sanding sealer, button polish. Bit of a dog's dinner though

Quick sand down and then some of the shellac?

How will laying Quick sand help the OP?
On 14/06/13 16:27, Chris Holmes wrote:

he will drown in it before he notices how crap the paint he used really was.
--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) – a system of government where the least capable to lead

Helpful as always.

Having Googled this shellac. It seems to come in a tin ... All I want is white wood that is not gonna turn yellow.

Shellac will seal the paint to stop any bleed through, I had the same problem when I painted some windows in white Acrylic.
However it won't stop any re-occurring yellowing, only bleed through.
Stephen.
--
http://coachpainting.info
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes
On 14/06/13 16:01, Mr Pounder wrote:

this isn't bleeding yellow, its ageing yellow from UV.,
Today's eco friendly paints simply have crappy safe organic pigments.
Never used to happen with white lead.
Or it may be the matrix its in. Instead of nice stable clear oil based ones,. its a water based heap of shite acrylic that not UV stable.
--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) – a system of government where the least capable to lead

The yellow is bleeding through.

Suggestions?

On 14/06/13 17:33, Mr Pounder wrote:

in knot shaped areas (typically rings) or everywhere?

strip it, treat any knots with knotting compound , prime with quality primer, use oil based undercoat and oil based top coat from a manufacturer who farts in the general direction of ecobollox.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) – a system of government where the least capable to lead

Looks dirty. Like in streaks.

Please NO!

I use Berger paints and have a good finish and they keep their colour.
Jim G
On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 16:52:20 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

About 20 years ago I painted the 2 handrails up the stairs with B&Q water-based paint. It went on well and easily and covered everything in 2 coats. For some of the year, some of the rails get sunshine in the afternoon and there's no yellowing - indeed no noticeable difference along the length. They don't make 'em like what they used to.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Yes, but. If I use the water based paint again, will it work?

Maybe it only turns yellow if applied Liberally.
--
Bill

On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 20:19:54 +0100, Mr Pounder wrote:

Well, it did 20-odd yeras ago. By the time something proves that it's OK, ITFL!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

This. The pigment in white paint is titanium dioxide, which will stay white forever. It's the carrier that's going yellow.
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 20th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3179
RIP Iain M Banks, 16 February 1954 – 9 June 2013