Subject Author Posted Replies

underfloor void completely filled with concrete
A friend has bought a victorian house and discovered that in the front room the underfloor void has been completely filled with concrete, right up to the underside of the floorboards (with the joists...
18
18

Citylink - useless, useless, useless.
I think it does vary from branch to branch and the "round" driver. Here there're fine as are all the other delivery services....
72
72

Any noticable difference between sky+ hd scart or hdmi?
As subject, I'm short of hdmi inputs and wifey would be banjaxed with a switcher. .
27
27

Oh dear, the IPCC have got it wrong again.
rise of 3 degrees will not melt the Greenland ice sheet as it has been warmer in the past and it didn't melt then. http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v493/n7433/full/nature11789.htmlA
23
23

I hope everyone's watching the genius of invention on bbc2 right now
Well dumbed down, but what do you expect ?
28
28

The Genius of Invention
Hmmm, Anyone else regarding this with a mix of hope and dread? Has the potential to be good, but will probably consist of an hour of patronising waffle.
46
46

Irish wind for British bog lights
Once it's up and running, you can think of the slightly shamrock-flavour power that's coursing through your house. UK and Irish ministers will today sign an agreement that could see some of the...
5
5

Open fire in a smoke-control area
OK so we've established (with neighbour's help) that the chimney is clear, now I've found out that she's in a smoke-control-area FFS.... There's a list of "authorised" fuels here: 'm assuming that...
32
32

Honeywell motorised valve
I noticed that my rads were taking time before they started to warm up ie a= bout 10 minutes before any rise in temperature. Checked the motorised valve and it appeared open ie the lever was forward...
12
12

Acrylic glued to painted alloy panel
I'm attempting to repair a caravan alloy side panel. The usual trick of using filler, smoothing and painting cannot be used due to a difficult to match ribbed pattern on the existing area of panel -...

philips dimmable ballast followup
So, regarding the philips dimmable dual ballasts that are churning out RF a= nd killing radio 4 FM on a radio 1.5 metres away. I sent a note about this to BLTdirect who passed it on to philips. A...
8
8

4 foot fluresants
I have 2., 30 year old fluresant lamps in the kitchen. Now one of the connectors has fallen appart. ( the tubes are new) I have spent a while looking on line but am unable to find the connector as a...
11
11

Cleaning Toilet pedestal of metal marks
We have just bought new bog-brush - one in a metal cylindrical holder, with the top of the metal cylinder fixed to the brush handle. In brushing the bog the metal has either scratched (which I doubt)...
8
8

How often to sweep a chimney?
Mum's got an open fireplace, 1930-1950 semi-detached property. From what I can make out she last had it done about 5 years ago but I don't think she's had more than 3 or 4 "one-off" fires a year since...
9
9

Insulation difficult
There's a small space near the cooker thats peculiarly inaccessible. The on= ly way to get anywhere near the ceiling there is to lie on one's back, any = other position is simply not doable due to the...
20
20