Zapper

How easy or difficult was it to get apart? I have a problem with my Panny PVR remote control, but I just cannot get it open. The two screws are obvious enough, but there are no other screw or labels covering them. And I've put deep dents in more than one place on each side trying to pry the two parts of the case apart with a screwdriver blade even with the screws out.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

It's unusual to have two screws together with latches. Usually only screws or only latches. Are there any rubber feet that might be hiding more screws? Perhaps you have to slide, not prise, the halves apart after removong the screws.

Reply to
Dave W

I've seen remotes seem to 'ooze' a liquid inside. I've heard (I thought it was on this forum) that the rubber keys can be impregnated with a (conductive?) oil of some kind, and that it is this that comes out. No more knowledge than this hearsay, though.

J^n

Reply to
jkn

Or a screw hidden under a label.

Reply to
Bob Eager

That sounds like an odd choice because oil is mostly bad for rubber. But carbon is routinely added to rubber to improve its properties (that's why tyres are black) so just keep adding carbon until the rubber is sufficiently conductive ...

Reply to
Rob Morley

Two screws either end on mine. Then it simply levered apart - sort of clips every couple of inches. Started at one end and side with a fingernail.

Once apart, everything came out of the case easily for cleaning. All the buttons being a once piece 'rubber' moulding.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The liquid wasn't evenly spread, though. Concentrated towards one end. And that end contained the most used buttons.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A "spudger', like the one Big Clive uses, can be useful for prying this type of thing apart.

or

Mike Clarke

I saw Big Clive using that a few weeks ago. I bought one; very useful.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Sometimes there may be a screw in the battery compartment.

These days the first port of call for doing something like opening a Panasonic remote would be to go to Youtube. There is usually more than one instruction video about the first stages on dismantling.

If the casing has now got "dents" as a result of prising it apart just file them down with a nail file or needle file before re-assembly.

Reply to
alan_m

Old fashioned butter knife also works well - it's thin with rounded edges.

Reply to
alan_m

The trick is usually to press down the lip in that half of the case to minimise the amount of leverage (and damage to the other half) needed. In other words, try to release the clips rather than just lever apart.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

all i have ever used is a guitar plectrum 59p for ten :)

-
Reply to
Mark

A set of iPhone dismantling tools off eBay helps a lot.

Reply to
Bob Eager