Zanussi washer dryer - repair or replace?

Hi

My zannusi washer/dryer I bought in 1998 for about =A3500. The dryer stopped working a long time ago but did not use it too often so was not too concerned. The washer cycle has took a long time for a while now, I kept having to push it round manually to spin etc. Now the dial is clearly stiff and not moving round properly. This means I am struggling to get it to finish and when I eventually get the clothees out they are wet and need hand wringing. Is this likely to be a cheap repair or should I consider buying a new machine? I live in Stockport/Manchester area if anyone can recommend a repairer.

Thanks for any advice. Colin

Reply to
colincurious

The message from snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com contains these words:

Sometimes the timer will not advance until the stage it's on has been completed. If you've got a blocked pump, for example, some models won't advance to spin till the water level's low enough. If it can't get low enough 'cos it's blocked it'll not advance.

I'd check two things first - the pump and the connection to the level sensor.

The pump's pretty obvious, it's the thing with two wires and two pipes - one from the bottom of the drum, the other leading out of the casing to the waste pipe.

The level sensor is usually a thing the size of a round tobacco tin and looks like this

thin pipe that leads to it will run eventually to somewhere near the bottom of the drum - but will usually go through a wider pipe first - this sometimes gets blocked with scum[1]. Cleaning it out so the sensor can detect the level properly may help.

[1] Remember to take chavs out of your pockets before washing.
Reply to
Guy King

Been reading "Which?" magazine? Save yourself a fortune, cancel your subscription. Try this experiment: read a review about an item you know something about. Total bollocks right? Now extrapolate.

When buying a washing machine you should either buy an AEG, or the cheapest one you can find. Both will cost the same in the long run.

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

I agree about 'Which'. But AEG isn't all it's cracked up to be. I just scrapped a 15 year old one (worked fine but made a lot of noise - this might have something to do with living it's life in my workshop) and am continuing with a 20 year old Phillips (that works perfectly, and quietly, except that it won't add fabric softener in the rinse).

I think the ideal thing would be to buy a new AEG or Phillips from 15 years ago, but I can't quite work out how to do that :)

R.

Reply to
Richard A Downing

QED

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

The message from Richard A Downing contains these words:

My fan oven certainly isn't. The case-fan overrun was done by a thermal switch with a heater wrapped round it, all covered with a silicone sleeve to keep it warm. Stupid thing burnt out after a year. It's done with a timed relay now.

Reply to
Guy King

What happened to my Zanussi FL884 washing machine - possibly a little older - was the dial became sticky - probably occasional liquid spills over the dial taking crap into it. Removing and cleaning worked.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I have a 15 year old AEG and a 20 year old Hotpoint, both currently going strong. The Hotpoint is now easier (and cheaper!) to source spares for.

We got an AEG dishwasher on the strength of the quality of the washer. It wasn't up to the same standard. They don't make them anywhere near as good, nowadays, but in real terms they are a lot cheaper. I might get a new one in a year or two.

Reply to
<me9