Yucky polyurethane varnish - how to remove?

Hi,
I've recently had some doors acid dipped, but one of them has this yukky brown paint/varnish stuff on one side which hasn't been removed and I can't shift.
Is my only option to sand it off, or are there any good products for removing it from the wood?

Nitromors - follow instructions to the letter for best results. Dipping it should have shifted it. Do your dipping elsewhere in future. If the doors are old you will probably want to retain the patina, so don't sand them.
-- Mike W
Thanks for quick respsonse!
Tried nitromors, but it's not like removing paint - it's like some coating nightmare from a cheap B-movie. The acid removed all the other door' paint no problem. It's just this one type of varnish (dunno if it's polyurethane in fact - just some sticky, brown rubbery awfulness).
VisionSet wrote:

Nitromors do, at least, two varieties- one of paint and another for varnish. I had a similar problem, 'ordinary' Nitormors wouldn't shift the stuff, so I went to a Paint Merchant and told them of the problem. They sold me a can of the 'Varnish remover' which worked 'just like it says on the can'.
--

Brian

Brian Sharrock wrote:

There are 2 types of commercial stripping tanks, one uses caustic soda (not acid) and the other a methylene chloride type stripper. The former will not touch polyurethane, but this is normally quite easy to sand off because it doesn't gum up the abrasive. If it's as sticky as described, it probably isn't urethane, and stripper and coarse wire wool is the best bet. If it was a caustic dip, and you do get it off, you'll probably end up with a patch that's paler than the rest. Treating this with caustic or washing soda should tone the colour in
thanks very much guys. I'll follow your suggestions and if nothing works I'llbe back for more advice. Ta.