You take the fence post out, you put the fence post in

Ni!

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I will probably shouted down for this, but I have put up many fences and have almost never put concrete in the hole. All the fences are standing just fine, some 30 years old. What is the purpose of the concrete? It just makes the pole bigger in the ground. It will still move around if the ground shifts and it will be harder to straighten. I dig a deep thin hole, put the post in and add the earth (or builder's mix) a bit at a time and ram it with a one inch pipe. The only time I used concrete is for a post with a 15 foot gate attached.

To raise a post, I nail a block of wood on it near the ground, and clamp it with a couple of clamps. I rest a large bit of timber on the ground and lever the pole out with a long piece of timber or a crowbar. That will even lift out a post with concrete attached.

Reply to
Matty F

Didn't say the idea was new or original to me :-)

Still a good idea though.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Started with about half a panel offset but the new concrete slotted post plus panel length is a little shorter than the old wooden post plus panel length so the old and new holes are getting closer together.

Looks like every other concrete support post has been set in a huge lump of concrete. We are using an old concrete post as a battering ram and breaking the posts off more or less flush with the concrete base which is a few inches below ground level. This will work unless/until the holes converge enough that we have to put a new post where the old post was concreted in. The alternate posts lift out with a bit of grunt and a very long lever. It could take half a day and a very big hole to get one of the concrete bases out. Hopefully we won't have to.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

As long as grandad hasn't beaten you to it!

Reply to
<me9