You can tell it's cold

Current electricity demand 52GW+, up 2GW on yesterday.

Lovely still bright crisp winters day, how much is wind providing? Less than 0.6GW... And I see we are exporting power to the French to pass onto the Germans? B-)

Wouldn't be surprised to see the late afternoon spike in demand get over 55GW today.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

If I believed in God, I would take the fact that since wind farms have become commonplace, the UK has tended to get hit by very still, cold winters, as proof that He has a sense of humour, at least.

Oh, and those still hot days, when everybody wants to run their aircon too ....

Reply to
Jethro

In article , Dave Liquorice writes

odd. gridwatch shows OK on Firefox 8.0 on Linux, but Firefox 10 in a virtual machine running XP shows all meters at zero. IE 8.0 on the same virtual machine works.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

With FF10 on a physical Win7 machine here, it's fine.

Reply to
Andy Burns

In article , Andy Burns writes

Started working shortly after I posted... doh! I'd just installed FF10 and wondered if it was that.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Yeah, plusnet's traffic shaping went squiffy for an hour or so this morning, until they admitted it I also wondered if it was FF10 mis-behaving

Reply to
Andy Burns

the odd thing yesterday was that we were importing as much from Holland as we were exporting to France..don't they have an extension cable somewhere they can plug in?

Nice to see the nukes running just about flat out - looks like all the maintenance and refuelling is done and the colder seas are scraping a few hundred MW more out of the condensors.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

All meters at zero is because you were the person that happened to time out the cache, and go live to bmpreports..and they failed to respond.

Just reload.

OT: where did you get FF10? did you compile the beta

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

EDF have switched one off at Hinkley

"We took the decision to take unit 7 at Hinkley Point B power station offline today (Wednesday, 1 February) at 0230hrs for planned maintenance," a spokeswoman said, declining to give a restart date.

Reply to
mogga

It seems to be 'out there'; I just installed slackware on a machine this morning - which came with FF 8.x bundled - and the first time I ran it, it said that 10.x was the latest version and offered to download it for me.

(comments on whether it's worth having vs. 8.x are welcome; I like sercurity fixes, of course, but some FF releases just seem to add bloat and gimmicky features without really doing anything useful)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Came up on my computer as an offering from the regular automatic check. Failing that, Firefox > Help > About Firefox.

There's a Thunderbird v10 available too.

In article , The Natural Philosopher writes

Nah, Firefox 9.0.1 stamped its foot and demanded that I upgrade.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

From the looks of it Hinkley Point B will be back on soon.

Dungeness B seems to be more out of service than on.

Can't find a similar status page for the couple of Magnox stations that are still in service.

Philip

Reply to
philipuk

I must say I didn't know Hinckley was still going..

I think you can just about see the dip it represents..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh.. that's odd .. mine says 'up to date' and yet the mozilla site says

10.0 is the latest and greatest - I am on 9.1

I'll try and find the source release.. Debian is still on version

3.something last time I looked.

Its got a bit better on memory management the last couple of releases but there are sill memory leaks I think. I have to occasionally shut down to clear the swap space out..

Or that might be virtual box. Hard to tell.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's on Softpedia. I'm on PaleMoon 9.something and will wait for the update

- PaleMoon very rarely goes with the first version, but waits for a.x that irons out the silly bugs.

Reply to
PeterC

still on iceweasel v2.summat. It works...

I only upgrade when I have to except firefox - I need to keep up in case my websites break on it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think they stagger the update notifications from the browsers. Give it a day and it might auto-update. Mine did first thing this morning.

I installed firefox on Debian 6, manually back at version 4 (not from source, but from their supplied binary) and it's auto-updated sine then.

Probably the plugins more than anything else. I run very "plugin-lite" and while it grows over time, it seems to stabilise at about 1GB after a few weeks - but then it starts to get slow - I think there is some internal innefficiencies in the memory allocator/garbage routines...

Currently very low, relatively speaking:

11969 gordon 20 0 667m 303m 30m S 14 15.2 125:02.52 firefox

thats with 3 windows, a few dozen tabs and only adblock+, flashblocker and ghostery enabled. Not done too much browsing today.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Released on 31st Jan

Similarly TB10, but since you're still on TB2 I assume you dislike the newer releases?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Sorry, missed the 'X11' in your headers, depends if you like installing from tar files, or waiting for your distro (or a 3rd party repo) to catch up ...

Andy Burns