"Yorkshire" end solder fittings

Note that while Yorkshire and end feed fittings are both solder fittings, and both use capillary action to draw the solder into the joint, they are not the same as each other (since with the latter you need to feed your own solder in the end of the joint).

I wipe or brush flux run the outer surface of the pipe - but try not to get too much in it...

Yup pretty much.

Yorkshire is a branded product and hence probably more expensive than a generic solder ring fitting.

(end feed are cheaper still, and actually slightly faster to use IME since they have less mass and heat faster).

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes, they go disappointingly grey within seconds of the joint cooling.

Reply to
Andy Burns

From memory of too many years ago. Clean the pipe with steel wool. Clean inside the fitting with steel wool. Apply flux to pipe, with finger. Fit pipe to fitting. Heat up and see the solder flow at the end of the fitting. Apply a bit of solder from your reel of solder, just to make sure. The brushes were crap. The solderless fitting were cheap crap. Yorkshire fittings were the very best. Dunno what they are like now.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

If the Yorkshire fitting was food it would have PGI status and it's solder:-).

Reply to
ARW

On 13/11/2017 20:04, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote: .

Probably the same but just grumpier due to old age and complaining about all these new newfangled plastic push pit fittings that are taking their jobs away.

Reply to
ARW

Wickes used to do something like that which was very good.

(what I want is something like that mounted on a mandril so you can stick it in a chuck on an angle drill. Would be so much easier when making connections to old painted rad tails etc or when you just need to clean loads of joints.

Reply to
John Rumm

I have a newfangled plastic push fitting under my kitchen sink and cupboards. I know that it is weeping, but f*ck it. No way am I going to rip out that lot. A copper Yorkshire fitting done properly would not have leaked.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

I expect you know, but for the benefit of posterity it is illegal to use lead solder on pipes for potable water (hot or cold). Personally I have found that plumbing fittings, with nice aggressive plumbing flux, are the only case where lead free solder *does* work alright, just a little hotter though.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Excess flux blocks the required flow of the solder. Dipping the pipe would give way too much. A thin smear is enough.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

"Yorkshire

+1

I much prefer end fed. They look nicer without that nasty bulge.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Did he use some extra solder too - just to be sure?

An older rosin flux does work just fine - but you do need to clean things more carefully.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Reply to
FMurtz

I am end fed, but still have a bulge ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

USA only, apparently, but surely made by others...

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Now you mention it, he did, but I don't do that.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Not necessarily. Over the years there have been the odd few things that can't be sourced in the EU, let alone UK, that the US seems to be awash with.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Yup that is the problem I found last time I looked.

Perhaps epoxying a mandrel with a plate on the end to one of the manual cylindrical brushes would be a way... or possibly find a small rubber sleeved sanding drum that could be an interference fit up the end of one.

Reply to
John Rumm

;-) I had a mate who did too. That's how he'd seen it done. Made absolutely no sense to me.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)