Wylex Consumer Units

I have recently replaced all the old rewirable fuses in a Wylex Consume

Unit with equivalent MCBs. Everything works fine except I cannot replac the original fuse cover because the new MCBs are too deep. Does anyon know if Wylex supply a deeper cover to replace the orginal one when th upgrade above is carried out.? Thanks for any help

-- chopsaw

Reply to
chopsaw

Yes; it's a frame to retain them, rather than a cover. Also, some of the newer ones (1980s) have a "knock out" panel in the front cover.

Reply to
Martin Crossley

Allegedly they "did" supply deep covers for certain sizes of CUs, but I never found any. I'm in the process of replacing the CU with a 12 or

14-way modern one. In the meantime I just leave the cover off my 6-way and try to stop Gromit (the dog) from stotting his ball off it and tripping divers circuits.

I would be interested to know if such deeper covers are still available, however. At a theatre with which I'm involved we still have a couple of Wylex CUs which I've equipped with MCBs.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

The trouble is that the "knock-out" panel doesn't really do anything. You forfeit the labelling of the MCB designation, and protection against impact by pets (or drunken pet-owners!)

Hic -

Reply to
Frank Erskine

That's exactly the problem I have .At the moment I have some MCB's and some with Cartridge Fuses ..I was actually thinking of making one out of plywood and just painting it to match the bakelite brown ...I think I looked before to see if they had a deeper cover to no avail ...certainly cannot see one in their catalogue .

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart