Old type wired Wylex fuse and holder required

Has anyone got an old, spare, 15ampWylex fuse and holder they can let me have, if not 15amp, 30amp would be OK. if so please reply to snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com Willing to pay postage and small amount for item.

Reply to
Gavin Gillespie

you can buy plug in 15A MCBs for Wylex equipment

Reply to
Chris Oates

They still make the stuff.

i.e.

be better. If you have a death wish,

also available.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

And it would be the best idea to change all the old rewireable fuses the new plug in type MCB's if your going to the trouble of trying to get and old one. Then you can knock out the front of the cover on the consumer unit and have all your pretty new MCB's sticking out.

Reply to
BigWallop

Thanks for the replies, and the links, I didn't realise that the old ones were still available. I had checked the RSW site, and could not find them on there, but their MCB's were about £12.00 each with VAT, making the 6 required more than a new consumer unit and MCB's combined, so TIC Direct, at about £7.60 each, seems a better option, but still about £50.00 inc. postage.

Reply to
Gavin Gillespie

You can still buy them from B&Q.

Reply to
Martin

Thanks again for the advice, and links. I decided to purchase a Wylex 15A MCB and 30A MCB from the above link, they arrived this morning, and are now fitted and working. The 30A has replaced the ring main 30A wired fuse, and the 15A is a direct feed for a single socket that I have put in the outside electric meter cabinet, (fed with 2.5 sq mm twin and earth), for use when cutting the lawn etc, is this acceptable with the current regulations? The incoming mains supply has live and neutral, plus a 6mm? separate earth cable from the meter cabinet to the consumer unit, and is marked Series 7 (house built 1984).

Just a note for anyone thinking of converting a Wylex wired fuse system to MCB's. I thought the biggest part of the job would be making the cut out in the fuse cover of the consumer unit, but when I examined the cover, it contained a 'knock out' panel to make this easier. If you hold the cover up to the light, you should see the outline of the knock out section if yours is suitable for easy adaptation.

Gavin

Reply to
Gavin Gillespie

It would be compliant only if there is a 30mA RCD in the loop. This could be implemented in these ways:

  1. Whole house unit before consumer unit (not recommended)
  2. Whole house unit as consumer unit isolator (not recommended)
  3. Split load consumer unit (OK, but not possible with old Wylex!)
  4. RCBOs in consumer unit (Recommended, but not possible)
  5. RCD next to consumer unit on circuit wiring (OK).
  6. RCD socket (OK)
  7. RCD fused connection unit to outside socket (OK)

In your case, I'd do 5 or 6, depending on which worked out cheaper, assuming I couldn't just replace the consumer unit, in which case I'd do 4. (In fact I have done 4).

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Thanks Christian, it looks like No.6, a RCD socket will be the easiest option.

Gavin

Reply to
Gavin Gillespie

I'd go for IP56 minimum, if it is in an outside meter cabinet. However, I suspect you could get away with non IP rated if the cabinet is well sealed against the weather (around 20 quid for a single socket).

Screwfix do a non-RCD IP66 one for less than a tenner (which would require an indoors RCD of some description). Unfortunately, their RCD version is a large double socket thing that costs almost 70 quid, making an internal RCD (either FCU, or standalone) economically more interesting. TLC do an IP56 1 gang RCD socket for just under 50 quid.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

easiest

However, I

Thanks again, my thinking was that if the cabinet is good enough to protect an incoming cable, a 100A fuse, an electric meter, and an economy 7 timer, then it should be good enough to protect a 13A socket :o)

Where do they dream up these prices from, when you can get a plug in RCD for about £5.00? I am thinking about super gluing a plug in RCD to the standard socket, the only problem would be to remove it would involve a demolition job, but would it satisfy the regulations? ;o)

Gavin

Reply to
Gavin Gillespie

I don't know. However, I've seen several blown RCD adapters, but haven't come across a blown fixed RCD yet. Maybe they aren't as robust internally?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

If the cabinet is well sealed and there is enough room, then you could just fit an ordinary RCD FCU immediately before the socket and that should be sufficient.

Incidentally, if the screwfix IP66 socket that Christian is referring to is the Clipsall socket then it's an excellent product IME and it would enable you to site the socket outside of the meter box if that is more convenient (and possible).

cheers Richard

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS