WTB New Dustbins

You mean that you can only put out what will go into one bin?

That's a real pain, or can you get extra bins?

I looked up what my local authority has to say on this:

Andy Hall

Generally, yup. Nothing to stop you using spare space in a neighbours bin though ;-)

After big holidays (i.e. christmas/newyear) they will allow one extra bag to be placed beside it for collection.

They have also just introduced blue boxes for glass and tins, and a "pink bag" for paper. (collected every other week)

It is a pain sometimes. I don't think you can (legitimately) get extra bins. Not sure what would happen if you had a family of (say) six living at one address however.

It is much better where my mum lives (private refuse contractors), they still use bags, and will collect an unlimited number. So if you have an old carpet to get rid of for example, you can cut it into strips, bag it, stick out a dozen bags and they will have it away.

John Rumm

I find it hard to believe that some areas still require their refuse collectors to manhandle dustbins (what about legislation on lifting)

I have had a wheelie bin for ages and find no problem provided I am sensible about crushing down boxes and other such items.

Recently got rid of a car tailgate (over 2 collections) and a tumbler drier (in one go) just by folding things up to ensure they take up minimal space.

A neighbour always seems to have empty boxes (perhaps to show what she has just bought) sticking out of the bin.

Over the years my Xmas trees have been cut into bits and disposed of over a few weeks.

Reply to
John

On 04 Jan 2005, Mary Fisher wrote

I like ours, too (Basingstoke). We have two of them now -- a standard black one (emptied weekly), and a slimmer green model for recycling, emptied fortnightly. (It takes paper, tins and plastic -- we don't have kerbside collection of glass, although they keep promising it's on the way.)

Since they introduced the recycling wheelie bin, the amount in the standard black bin has gone down so much I could go to a smaller bin. (There's only the two of us at this address, though.)

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

To say nothing of the dangers of sharp objects in plastic bags and noxious substances ...

But some people have told me that they pay their rates for other people to do that sort of thing :-(

Our tip (very efficient reclamation centre) will take things like that but we weigh in anything we can at the scrap dealer's, which is conveniently close to the tip. All recyclable and chemical stuff is saved for a big trip to the tip, which has dedicated units for their collection. The only thing we can't take is tyres but we don't seem to have those these days. When we do I want to use them for growing potatoes, at the moment I use old beehive outers and haven't enough.

People buy so much ...

We didn't have one but all garden stuff is composted, as is kitchen vegetable waste. We don't have table leftovers but bread and cheese crumbs are given to the hens.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

"John" wrote | I have had a wheelie bin for ages and find no problem provided I | am sensible about crushing down boxes and other such items. | Recently got rid of a car tailgate (over 2 collections) and a tumbler | drier (in one go) just by folding things up to ensure they take up | minimal space.

I have one-eighth of a communal wheeliebin[1]and managed to get about four typists' swivel chairs in by careful manoeuvring. I doubt they fell out when the bin was tilted onto the lorry though, so I hope the binmen had hell trying to pull them out manually.

| A neighbour always seems to have empty boxes (perhaps to show what | she has just bought) sticking out of the bin.

My local council insists on "lids must be closed". (Says nothing about 'waste must fall out of bin unattended' though). But as for about 1 month in three they don't actually come and collect them every week it doesn't really matter.

Yesterday in the communal wheeliebin was a huge stuffed toy. It looked quite clean and wasn't /too/ smelly (and it was taking up space where I wanted to put my rubbish) so I hooked it out, put it in a big bag (well the head and arms went in a 'please fill this sack for charity' bag and the legs and bottom hung out) and took it to the Red Cross shop. I hope they fabreezed it first :-) I saw it go into the window and then disappear, so it sold quite quickly.

Individual wheelie bins, if kept clean, can be quite useful - sometimes it's easier to wheel the bin to the rubbish and then back to the bin store than it is to carry armfuls of rubbish to the binstore. Wheeliebins even wheel down stairs fairly easily.

Owain

[1] Which is only three times the size of an individual wheeliebin
Reply to
Owain

We still have dustbins round my way (for a few months more I gather) but the binmen never actually touch them; they lift out the full binliners and chuck those in the lorry. Anybody trying to use a bin without a liner learns very quickly it doesn't get emptied.

Are there places where the bins are still lugged around on binmen's shoulders like they were when I were a lad?

A friend claims to have got rid of an entire Mini engine in one. Don't know how many collections, but I imagine the one with the engine block inside must have been a bit touch-and-go!

David

Reply to
Lobster

"Lobster" wrote | Are there places where the bins are still lugged around on binmen's | shoulders like they were when I were a lad?

To paraphrase an anecdote (about brickies and hods) I read whilst browsing in Waterstone's the other day: Youth of today don't have shoulders for bins any more. Youth of today don't have shoulders for braces.

| A friend claims to have got rid of an entire Mini engine in one. Don't | know how many collections, but I imagine the one with the engine | block inside must have been a bit touch-and-go!

A bit like those employees who claim to have smuggled an entire Rolls-Royce out of the factory in their overall pockets.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I disposed of an entire electric cooker over a week or three...!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Rolls-Royce

That was a Johnny Cash song about a Cadillac wasn't it?

Reply to
RichardS

uk

Where I live we missed the stage of bin liners - directly from bins on shoulders to wheelie bins. Even so, it is a lot of manual handling.

Reply to
John

John wrote: [...]

Mate of mine got rid of a complete 'asbestos' cement garage over a period of a few weeks :-)

Bit naughty, but simple!

Reply to
Dave

Our wheelie bins are collected in twos. They're put, in pairs, on a platform at the rear of the wagon just above road level. There's no lifting involved, just wheeling. A button is pressed, the platform is raised, the bins tipped over. The lids open by gravity, the contents go into a container, the bins are shaken to loosen anything stuck, the platforms are lowered, the operator removes the pair of bins and replaces them on the pavement. It's a matter of seconds.

The only handling is wheeling the bins for perhaps three yards at the most, each way. since the bins are on wheels it's easy for the dears. We householders sometimes have to wheel them for ten yards.

Not the Fishers, we have them stationed near the gate, but we're idle.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Worse than naughty. One day, perhaps, everyone will be responsible.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The message from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Think yourself (and them) lucky. I have to wheel mine 60 yards to the edge of the road (no pavement). Before the change the binmen would walk down the path and collect the black bag from the dustbin.

However I think myself lucky compared to one of my neighbours who has a

450 yard each way trundle but then the binmen always insisted that that household transport its black bags to the roadside.
Reply to
Roger

I doubt if everyone would do that, though, Mary.

Reply to
Andy Hall

But what about all the extra mileage with trips to and from the bin with rubbish through the week. Wouldn't you travel less if you kept the bins nearer the house?

Reply to
Mike Clarke

In a way I wish that I did have that reason for extra exercise, I need it. The comment on our idleness was flippant, it's because Spouse has so much stuff in the drive that the bins can't get past to the back of the house.

I take every bit of recycleable out singly to the green bin, to make myself walk. But we don't have much ... :-(

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I think you're right. And even I'm not perfect

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The message from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

I live next door (comparatively speaking) in Bradford MDC but their idea of recycling is to provide (on request) a second (grey) wheelie bin for paper (collected 4 weekly) with such a long list of exclusions that nothing much but newsprint ever gets in it. Green bins are for ordinary rubbish. Most of what I put in that is potentially recycleable but I am not prepared to make a special effort if the council can't be bothered. As it is my rubbish bin rarely gets put out more than once a month.

Reply to
Roger