would you keep this fireplace (+ kitchen pics) ?

On Sunday, May 12, 2013 4:59:57 PM UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk wrote:

Yes. The trouble is she is pregnant at the moment, so she tells me something different every day ! Simon.
sm_jamieson wrote:

Congratulations on the baby.
Not that that will help her decide what you are allowed to like:-).
--
Adam

On Sun, 12 May 2013 10:25:16 -0700 (PDT), sm_jamieson wrote:

That's normal, nothing to do with being pregnant.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Normally I'm no great fan of tiled 30's tat, but that's ok looking.
On Sunday, May 12, 2013 11:13:38 PM UTC+1, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

It is a bit different to the chunky art deco style fireplaces in foul swirly patterns and colours, which would definitely get ripped out. The house although built in the late 1930s was built to an earlier pattern using lime mortar, fireplaces in upstairs bedrooms, etc. So perhaps the fireplace is slightly earlier in style, although I cannot find anything similar in google images. The other notable feature is the mantle is very low.
Simon.
On Mon, 13 May 2013 02:04:39 -0700 (PDT), sm_jamieson

using lime mortar, fireplaces in upstairs bedrooms, etc. So perhaps the fireplace is slightly earlier in style, although I cannot find anything similar in google images.

If that were mine I'd keep it. It's possibly a one-off, fitted in the 50s.

The bit I don't like is the swirly beige tiles, not the actual surround. I wonder if you could replace with something a bit more contrasty? You'd then keep the painted tiles, but would change the look of the thing.
Theo
On Monday, May 13, 2013 8:55:45 PM UTC+1, Theo Markettos wrote:

Thats what I said, SWMBO said she did not mind the those but they are the worst bit. Simon.
On 11/05/2013 20:10, sm_jamieson wrote:

> ironwork and adjusting rod) and is being kept either way.

(still a few bits to do - cornice etc). Thanks to all that gave advice.

Nothing wrong with it apart from the tiles and design.
On Tuesday, May 14, 2013 8:48:46 AM UTC+1, Rob wrote:

Hey ?! Is that comment about the fireplace or the kitchen ? If the kitchen, I'd genuinely be interested in what you don't like about it. If the fireplace, we've got that covered ;-)
Cheers, Simon.
On Tue, 14 May 2013 01:50:54 -0700 (PDT), sm_jamieson

Taste: it's like assholes. Everybody's got one and everyone else's is just an asshole.