would you keep this fireplace (+ kitchen pics) ?

We have to decide whether to keep a 1930s tiled fire surround or rip it out and replace with timber surround etc. The fireplace itself is a Baxi Burnall (just missing the front ironwork and adjusting rod) and is being kept either way. I cannot decide if the original tiled surround has some charm or not ! Would you keep it ?

Oh, whilst here, some pics of the kitchen I just about finished in time for Christmas (still a few bits to do - cornice etc). Thanks to all that gave advice.

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

ut and replace with timber surround etc. The fireplace itself is a Baxi Bur nall (just missing the front ironwork and adjusting rod) and is being kept either way.

If it suits the style of house and decor, certainly.

Is it just the angle of photograph or has the electrician really put the lightswitches different distances each side away from the patio door?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

out and replace with timber surround etc. The fireplace itself is a Baxi B urnall (just missing the front ironwork and adjusting rod) and is being kep t either way.

Its just the gold bits are a bit much ! We have been umming and ahhing for ages.

Haha, it does look like that in the picture. The electrician is me and the switch on the left is just a back box contain ing unconnected wires for some outside lights to be put into the soffit. I did put the back boxes in the same distance from the door opening.

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

it out and replace with timber surround etc. The fireplace itself is a Baxi Burnall (just missing the front ironwork and adjusting rod) and is being k ept either way.

ining unconnected wires for some outside lights to be put into the soffit. I did put the back boxes in the same distance from the door opening.

Oh, plus the patio door frame and wall are white, and visually blend a bit, making the distance look greater ! Si.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

and replace with timber surround etc. The fireplace itself is a Baxi Burnall (just missing the front ironwork and adjusting rod) and is being kept either way.

Christmas (still a few bits to do - cornice etc). Thanks to all that gave advice.

Personally, I would keep it. In the shed, under a tarpaulin :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

and replace with timber surround etc. The fireplace itself is a Baxi Burnall (just missing the front ironwork and adjusting rod) and is being kept either way.

Christmas (still a few bits to do - cornice etc). Thanks to all that gave advice.

Its even got little painted cherubs in the "circles" top left, right and centre ;-) Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

and replace with timber surround etc. The fireplace itself is a Baxi Burnall (just missing the front ironwork and adjusting rod) and is being kept either way.

Christmas (still a few bits to do - cornice etc). Thanks to all that gave advice.

Exactly :-)

Chuck out your Chintz !

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Interesting; "Chintz (from the plural of chint) was originally glazed calico textiles, initially specifically those imported from India, printed with designs featuring flowers and other patterns in different colours, typically on a light plain background".

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

replace with timber surround etc. The fireplace itself is a Baxi Burnall (just missing the front ironwork and adjusting rod) and is being kept either way.

It's a lot nicer than any mass-produced wooden one would be :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

replace with timber surround etc. The fireplace itself is a Baxi Burnall (just missing the front ironwork and adjusting rod) and is being kept either way.

Christmas (still a few bits to do - cornice etc). Thanks to all that gave advice.

It looks completely unmarked and undamaged to me so if you really must take it out, I'd take it out carefully and sell it. But if I came across an original fireplace in an original house (I can't tell from the photos if your main house is 1930s) in such excellent condition I'd want to keep it and theme the room around it.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

and replace with timber surround etc. The fireplace itself is a Baxi Burnall (just missing the front ironwork and adjusting rod) and is being kept either way.

Christmas (still a few bits to do - cornice etc). Thanks to all that gave advice.

I kind of agree. It would be a shame to rip it out. The house is 1930s, and the fireplace tiles kind of echo the tiles above the adjoining kitchen worktop (see the kitchen photo album) - which themselves echo the original kitchen tiles before we extended. I think the chintzy print on some of the tiles is the main difficulty, but trying to change some of the tiles or using tile paint would probably wreck it.

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

and replace with timber surround etc. The fireplace itself is a Baxi Burnall (just missing the front ironwork and adjusting rod) and is being kept either way.

If this was a do-er upper or a rental property, then it's a fair question, but assuming it's your own home, then you have to decide whether you like it or not - don't let others tell you what your taste should be...

Reply to
Lobster

Would you be able to paint them white to tone in with the rest? Perhaps in a paint that can be easily removed at a later date?

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

It would be easy to paint in the flowers, but the prints on the upper tiles would be tricky. Replacement tiles would be an option if available. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

ut and replace with timber surround etc. The fireplace itself is a Baxi Bur nall (just missing the front ironwork and adjusting rod) and is being kept either way.

or Christmas (still a few bits to do - cornice etc). Thanks to all that gav e advice.

Personally I would definitely keep it. It must have cost a fortune when new.

Fashions come and go. In ten years it could be hot property.

Far better than the shit you buy nowadays.

Reply to
harry

En el artículo , The Medway Handyman escribió:

+1, but in the nearest skip.
Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Keep it. You bought the house with it and it goes well with the house. Rip it out and you could easily end up with something really horrible. Design around it.

I don't like it but if I'd bought that house I'd keep it. At least for the time being. I suspect over time I'd forget I didn't at first like it. If it started to annoy me that would be the time to change it and by then I'd have an alternative in mind.

Edgar

Reply to
Edgar

+1

Sometimes things that naively try to be something but don't really make it have their own charm. It looks like a naive attempt at 1930s bling, I'd pro bably keep it :) At least until I was truly sure something else would be a lot better. You can't ever put back that sort of odd character.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Oh well, you could probably get a few hundred quid for it from a architectural salvage place. It looks in very good condition...

As for keeping it, it's not my taste but if it matches the age of the house and the other parts as well that I do like I would probably keep it.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Well now is the time to decide, since we are about to redecorate the room.

The alternative in mind is a fairly tall timber surround painted white:

With a cast iron plate like this:

fitted around the current Baxi fireplace.

You know, painted in with the skirtings with possible integrated shelves at the side of the chimney breast, to create the sort of effect seen in "posh house" magazines all the time.

We are fitting white spindled bannisters soon, so going fake Victorian / Edwardian I guess. But we could have a "1930s" room !

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson