Worktop mason's mitre jigs

Why do these jigs specify a minimum worktop width?

I need to join a couple of bullnose bathroom worktops at right angles; they're about 200mm deep which seems to be smaller than any of the jigs can handle - any suggestions on how to do it? I wondered about using the aluminium corner joint strips but can't find anything for a 14mm bull nose.

Dave

Reply to
NoSpam

Poor form to answer myself, but having just found a manual on the Trend site the answer is blindingly obvious - it's just down to where the guide holes are drilled. I presume all I need to do is ignore the pre-drilled guide bush locations and align the jig to suit the depth of the worktop.

Dave

Reply to
NoSpam

They usually have predrilled holes that you stick locating pegs through to help hold the jig in place. The holes are located for "standard" worktop depths[1]. You can probably still use one to do what you want, but will need to resort to careful clamping of the jig instead.

[1] Recalls time when helping a mate finish off his kitchen, I made the mistake of asking him if the the worktops were standard 600mm ones rather than measuring them. Yes says he. Only after a test fitting where the front edge of the returning bit of worktop fell short of the mitre cut in the other bit by a couple of inches, did he remember that he had cut that bit down in depth a little bit!

(at this point we decided that perhaps continuing the oak edging we were going to put round the butler sink cutout, right round all of the worktop would be a good idea).

Reply to
John Rumm

Given that the depth is only 200mm you won't waste a lot of worktop by cutting a straight 45 degree line. You should be able to use the jig to set that up by just using clamps.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Thanks Ed. I did wonder about doing that but I need to make one of the lengths removable (cistern access), so the idea was to use some dowels rather than glue and connectors - easier to do with a mason's mitre than with a 45 degree joint (also, I've already cut them roughly to length :-) )

Dave

Reply to
NoSpam

I would have though that the jig would get two pegs in contact but you'll have to make your own assessment of the angle.

Reply to
Ed Sirett