Worktop Fitting Recomendations Crawley/Redhill area

Could anyone recommend someone who could fit some worktops for me near Crawley/Redhill. There are 4 lengths of around 1.5- 2 metres each, one double sink hole, one hob hole and one mitred corner required, together with finishing the ends. Please could you also advise me of what a reasonable price would be for this work. Many Thanks, Des. desp snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk (remove NOSPAM)

Reply to
Sam

Oh come on! DIY!!!

I almost baulked at doing worktops myself, but it turned out to be very straightforward with the right tools (Mitre jig from the local hire shop for the corners, and a circular saw for the straight cuts).

I saved at least £500 - even if I'd screwed all the worktops and had to order them again I'd still ahve been ahead.

Search the group history for some useful tips.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

All the bits (ahem!) you need to do this is now about £150 quid I've got mine slowly together over a few years...

Cheap 1/2" router £85

1/2" x 50mm router bit £7 Biscuit slot bit. £13 Worktop jig £30. G-clamps say 3 at £5

Comsumables: clamps (3 per joint) , biscuits say 10 per joint, PVA and clear silicone.

This kit will be good enough for one off use. A better worktop jig will be £70 more and a much better router £85 more.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I'm thinking of splashing out on a worktop jig myself as it happens... but what's the difference between one costing 30 quid and one costing 100 quid? Isn't a jig just a jig? Why are they so expensive anyway (why don't they cost a tenner or so?)

David

Reply to
Lobster

The cost of the kit is why I am looking for someone to do the work, I wouldn't mind having a go at it but spending £150ish for a one-off job is a bit of a waste. Besides the Missus would kick up at more lurverly power tools appearing :-(

So... recomendations please in Redhill/Crawley area for someone who will do a good job for a fair price.

I also am at a loss to understand why these templates are so dear! they are made of mdf, plastic or plywood perhaps and the dear ones have a bit of formica like stuff on them but for £90??? I would atleast expect machined ally for this price!

Sam

Please reply to: snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk if you want to get in touch with me directly - previous email address has expired.

Reply to
Sam

The cheap one I got was from Tollstation.com (former pals and suppliers to s/fix but probably now pals with Tollstation.com) Its MDF with a laminate surface. I suspect that the expensive ones are made from Tufnol (Karp) which is much stiffer and therefore makes for a better job. The material is very expensive.

Reply to
Ed Sirett