Workshop vacuum cleaner recommendations?

On 05/10/2016 21:14, DJC wrote:

In case we are not talking about the same model, the one I got is the Nilfisk Aero 26-21 PC.
If you've used it attached to a power tool does it clear sawdust and wood chips well enough?
I would say that this one's suction is slightly better than but very close to my 650W domestic vac. I guess I expected more in a workshop vacuum.
--
James Harris

On 06/10/16 08:53, James Harris wrote:

Yes, that's the one

Well enough as far as I am concerned.
Two suggestions:
1. If you are using the rubber nozzle for power tool attachment that comes with the kit check that the bypass port on the side is closed (twist the plastic ring. 1a (there is a similar slider to the same effect on the normal hose end.)
2. If you have been using it to pick up bits of rubble or wallpaper, check that the hose is not blocked. Try putting the hose on the blow port to see what comes out.

--
djc

(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)
On 06/10/2016 21:22, DJC wrote:

Understood. Yes, I saw the plastic slider on the normal hose end. It was such a poor cover that I taped the holes up.
In fairness, I think it's the hose which is the main let down - at least on blow. Placing a hand directly over the ports on the machine shows it is more effective, though still not as powerful as I expected.

I haven't sucked anything up with it yet as I see Screwfix let customers return unused items. I just tried the blow function and, on suction, compared the hose suction with my domestic vac.
This is one of those occasions where the only way to get the kind of thing you want is to make it yourself. This vac is a bit too domestic for my liking. But making a 'decent' machine would take time.
Or, buying a more industrial unit second hand might do. But I found none available.
On the other hand the Nikfisk does tick all the boxes. It's not as powerful as I would like but it is the best I've seen. Unless I find a better solution soon I'll probably end up just keeping the Nilfisk.
--
James Harris

On 08/10/16 11:02, James Harris wrote:

It comes with a long hose (3.5m) which may offer too much resistance to the airflow. There is a shorter hose (2m) available which if you do not need the max length may be better. I got a shorter hose from Radford Vac Centre <(Amazon.com product link shortened)>
--
djc

(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)
On 08/10/2016 21:43, DJC wrote:

I got feed up with cheap vacs and bought a bosch gas25. Works really well and is rated to run continuously. Not cheap but virtually no dust even when sanding walls. It has a semi auto filter cleaner so you can stop every 20 mins or so and hit clean to get full suction back even with plaster dust.

I use a hosepipe and wash it out. (Don't use a pressure washer!) This also moistens the remaining mortar, which helps to stop it sucking out the water from the new mortar before it sets. Don't repoint immediately after washing out - let the water all drain away and dry out a little, but not completely.

Lime mortar in your eyes - ouch!

Sounds like my Hoover Constellation. The hose can be plugged onto the bottom to blow (really meant for clearing blockages from the hose).

I use a master/slave socket (the type used for computer and accessories which switches off monitor/printer etc when computer is switched off. The vacuum cleaner is connected as a slave.

If it's not going to be portable, I would suggest fitting a cyclone inline before the vacuum cleaner. It will trap most of the dirt, reducing the need for frequent emptying, as it can be made much bigger than the vacuum cleaner's dust capacity, and it traps the dust outside the airflow so that the dust trapped in it doesn't reduce suction and efficiency (unlike dust trapped in a filter).
--
Andrew Gabriel
On 01/10/2016 23:37, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Unfortunately, the mortar internals (if that's the right term) are in a terrible state and there seem to be big gaps behind the front mortar. In many places, where the front mortar has been scraped away it turns out there is just a void behind it. So a hose would just throw a load of water into the gap. Hence the need to use a vacuum to suck the cement dust away or, if that doesn't work, to blow it clear.

I've already been fairly well sand blasted while using an angle grinder to clear out the old mortar!

If that a spherical vac which basically hovered then it may have been the same type!

That sounds like a good idea. I can see lots of homemade cyclones and small purchasable ones. Do you have a link to something you would consider suitable?
--
James Harris

On 02/10/2016 12:55, James Harris wrote:

I think John Rumm posted details of one he made on the Wiki?
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman

On Sunday, 2 October 2016 16:10:24 UTC+1, David Lang wrote:

It's not on the Wiki, but you may be thinking of http://www.internode.co.uk/cyclone/ http://codesmiths.com/shed/workshop/techniques/cyclones/
Owain
On Saturday, 1 October 2016 18:08:46 UTC+1, James Harris wrote:

small & light is easier, handheld

most clog quickly

no vac is quiet, except central vacs

don't do that with lime dust, it's alkaline and not at all safe for eyes, lungs etc.
NT
its a bit late in the year for lime mortar, doesnt it fail if frost gets it in its first week?
[george]
On Saturday, 1 October 2016 18:08:46 UTC+1, James Harris wrote:

Matthias Wandel's one is interesting.
NT