Worcester Bosch Greenstar won't fire up

Hi all
as in the subject (sons house)
was working last night but not this morning
stripped outside condensate pipe which was full of ice
Still wouldn't fire up kept going back to reset light
For some reason as yet unclear the pressure gauge showed as 0.0 bar (there was a bit of a drip from the pressure relief pipe when I warmed it up on the outside wall)
All of the rads in the house in use house occupied all weekend no evidence of a leak
Re-pressurised to the bottom of the green on the gauge
Still not firing
switched everything off then on again all the lights come on burbles a bit and then goes to the reset light
Time for the heating engineer?
On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 16:00:05 -0000, TMC wrote:

Internal tank still full? I believe some boilers collect condesate then have an automatic siphon to dump it in a whoosh rather than just a dribble all the time.
--
Cheers
Dave.

So it looks like the pressure relief valve might have some crud on the seating. Press it to let a bit through to see if it clears it

There should be an overheat stat somewhere which requires a manual reset (look in the manual). Reset it

There is no such animal
--
geoff

writes

Hi
went back later in the afternoon to look at this. Switched boiler on pressed reset boiler now works
Doesn't seem logical to me as the boiler had not fired up since the previous evening and a reset attempt had been made at 5.00am so any time delay should have kicked in much sooner I would have thought

As Dave mentioned could the tank have since emptied, perhaps sufficient times to clear the backlog of condensate? You didn't mention whether you'd emptied it having cleared the blockage.
Mathew

As Dave mentioned could the tank have since emptied, perhaps sufficient times to clear the backlog of condensate? You didn't mention whether you'd emptied it having cleared the blockage.
Mathew
Hi
Nope never touched the tank at all and the boiler was left switched off at the isolator after the last failure to reset
On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 01:45:58 -0800 (PST), Mathew Newton

Assuming the drain is clear you don't need to empty the condensate in the boiler as gravity does it for you, on first commissioning you actually put fresh water into the condensate trap. Then, if fired up from new or after a long period of power being removed then Greenstars fire at a minimum rate for 15 minutes in order to ensure the condensate trap in the boiler is properly full, although this mode is clearly indicated on the 7 segment display "-II- alternating with boiler return flow temp"
My bet is that there was a massive amount of water in the casing and it didn't all drain out until much later.
On Nov 30, 11:31am, The Other Mike

That's what I was thinking - perhaps if the condensate backs up enough then it may require manual intervention to expediate its drainage.
Mathew
On Nov 30, 11:31 am, The Other Mike

That's what I was thinking - perhaps if the condensate backs up enough then it may require manual intervention to expediate its drainage.
Mathew
I would go with that and also that there was probably still water in the internal pipe run as the boiler is not on an outside wall but in an old airing cupboard
Now looking at a 32mm insulated pipe on the outside
Thanks for the replies
On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 05:32:07 -0800 (PST), Mathew Newton

When mine backed up all I did was defrost the drain pipe as it came through the wall. Once the 6 inch long x 3/4 inch diameter slug of ice was removed the 20ft run of pipe in the house that wasn't frozen, plus the water in the combustion chamber drained away by itself. It took a good few minutes to drain. Once the water stopped running I turned the boiler back on and it ejected a few more drips of condensate and then went into low firing mode for a few minutes and then started to work as normal.
When the boiler decides to dump accumulated condensate it's little more than pulling the plug on a sink. The water drains away from the bowl, yet the u bend always remains full. I can't see what additional manual intervention is needed unless the boiler is installed in zero gravity.

Oh yeah? Whadda *you* know about it, then?
I recall us even having having a "sanitation engineer" and "sanitation workers" in the US. (That's "trash truck driver" and "bin emptiers" to you.)
Thomas Prufer
On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 16:01:35 +0100, Thomas Prufer wrote:

All of which are incorrect uses of the term 'engineer'.
(unless they are actually Chartered Engineers, of course!)
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

It's Thomas making a joke
give him space ...
--
geoff

Yeah, I had a girlfriend once whose uncle was a fuel technologist - he stoked the furnace at the local hospital
I REALLY wouldn't want a central heating fitter trying to "engineer" (AKA 'it it wirra 'amma) anything on my boiler
As in sunny deutschland, I think the term engineer should be protected, nicht wahr ?
How's the senf and gluhwein down there?
--
geoff

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 21:40:29 +0000, geoff wrote:

Yup. I was reading another discussion about it in "Engineering & Technology" recently.
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

And I know some engineers I wouldn't trust to stoke a fire. Or 'it something wirra a hammer, either.

Ach, it is, but the "sunny" is a foul slur. (Though the Fachhochschulen are moving in on the turf of the Universitäten, and anyway there's this new Bachelor and Master stuff coming in. "Bologna"-Process and whatnot. Don't think they considered that "baloney" is American slang for "bullshit".)
We have the wonderful word "Heizungsmonteure", heating fitter, which is what most do, bolt a box to the wall. Not as nice as a word from a video asking young folk to consider a career as a "Wärme-, Kälte- und Schall-Isolierer und -Isoliererin"*. You get a lot more letters for the same three-year apprenticeship!

6" of snow down, and one Markt downtown is reputed to have a pretty deadly Glühwein, fortified with a single malt...
Thomas Prufer
*) "Heat, cold, and noise Insulator or Insultress".
On 01/12/10 07:55, Thomas Prufer wrote:

Insulated from the Insult(ress)?
--
djc

On 29/11/2010 21:47, geoff wrote:

I'm fairly sure there is. Worcester Bosch, for example, probably have several working on new boiler designs.
But don't confuse Engineers with repairmen. Or mechanics. Or train drivers.
Andy

Point made

--
geoff