Wooden Rawlplugs

+1 (When the only drill available for most of us was a hand drill and there were no bits suitable for drilling brick or similar.)
Reply to
Peter Johnson

Also 96 in a pack, not 100.

Reply to
PeterC

I recall the stuff. My father would spit on the stuff and mould/roll and push it into the hole he'd have made. Sometimes with a 'star drill'.

Reply to
Fredxx

MY grandparents house in Epsom was made of shuttered concrete for the ground and first floors, and these were the only way to make a hole for a screw.

Reply to
Andrew

A good example of an electric tool (a drill) with a masonry bit making a

*dramatic* reduction in the time to do a job. For drilling a hole in wood or metal, a hand drill is not *too* much slower than an electric drill, but for masonry with a Rawltool or other manual-hammer drill bit, it's dramatically slower.
Reply to
NY

No chance. This was pre-SDS days. Ordinary electric drills and bits just bounced off those concrete walls, not helped by the aggregate used as part of the mix. When a landmine exploded at the bottom of the (long) garden in WW2, all the ceilings came down but the house structure survived while other houses slightly further way, built of brick were badly damaged.

Reply to
Andrew

and now it can be done with a battery powered drill ;-)

Reply to
charles

I never tried them. I went from fibre Rawlplugs, to plastic ones - if the plastic ones were not adequate, then it would be a wood plug or car body filler.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

charles wrote on 20/07/2021 :

Rawkdrill and Rawlbits :-(

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

NY wrote on 20/07/2021 :

They were parallel, just a cut off length of fibre tube really, with no flexibity to accomodate a badly drilled hole, plastic was much better.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Andrew used his keyboard to write :

Then a star-drill plus lump hammer for the larger fixings/ rawlbolts.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Andrew brought next idea :

They did, even the early hammer drills would struggle if you hit a pebble - often easier to drill in another spot. The hammer mechanism never lasted long anyway, before it wore out.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Depending on the material you need to drill, my goto here for fixings is sds.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Yes, but a smaller version of what the navvies used! Lost mine.

Reply to
Bob Eager

There is also a hot melt glue stick version that can work well in poor holes. Just pump it in and wait a few moment for it to cool enough.

Reply to
John Rumm

You can get battery powered SDS drills...

Reply to
John Rumm

Hammer drills ?. My grand parents moved there before WW2 as tenants and bought it in the late 40's. The only drills were the rawl things that you hammered manually while twisting them.

Reply to
Andrew

70% wood content. Presumably the unspecified remainder is plastic.

Yup, ecobollox.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Does that have less shrinkage than the standard glue? I find hot melt adhesive not very good for filling cavities or enclosures, expecially without some "pre-heat" and/or feeding.

Reply to
newshound

There was a time before plastic rawlplugs when everyone did that :-)

Reply to
Jim Jackson