Removing metal rawlplugs

What is the best method of removing metal rawlplugs with minimal damage to a plasterboard wall. They look to be a very old design with possibly collapsed wings behind the plasterboard.
Regards
Newman formulated on Monday :

I doubt you can, without making the hole much bigger, they normally have collapsing wings, to brace behind the board. Best to just punch them inside.
Yes indeed, many partition walls are probably full of debris of old fixings at floor or baton level! Brian
--
----- -
On 26/03/2018 13:08, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

That will make a biggish hole, or worse. Personally, I would try to drill them out with a drill about the same size as the original hole would have been. Using a cordless drill, gently at first, and a sharp bit.

IME, there isn't any way to remove them without damage. In the past I've pushed them all the way through so they've fallen down behind the p'board.
--
I don't have an attitude problem. If you have a problem with my
attitude, that's your problem.
On Monday, March 26, 2018 at 1:01:00 PM UTC+1, Newman wrote:

they used to be called 'molly screws' IIRC. they splay out behind the plas terboard.
one thing to try is to screw in the screw, but only a little s oas tpo leav e an inch or so of thread projecting into the room. then push or tap the sc rew so as to unsplay the wings inside. Then pull it out by prizing out and then grabbing the front flange, don't pull the screw.
Robert

Carefully drill down the middle with a drill a couple of mm bigger than the screw hole. To remove the flange with minimal damage to the plaster board. Then punch the remains into the wall, once the flange has come off. If it has collapsing wings, likely quite soft steel.
Same sort of idea as removing a pop rivet.
--
*I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

+1, better description than mine!
On Mon, 26 Mar 2018 14:45:35 +0100

Would it not be easier (less likely to snag and tear the PB) to grind the flange off?
On 27/03/2018 14:04, Rob Morley wrote:

Some of them are aluminium, which drills better than it grinds. But I agree this is an option. I'd probably use a Dremel rather than a normal 115 mm grinder though.
On 26/03/2018 13:02, Newman wrote:

Thanks to all for the hints.
I ended up tapping the screw to expand the wings sufficiently to pull the fixing out to a position where I was able to snap the flange off with pliers. I then pushed the rest back into the plasterboard. This left a very small hole to fill.
Regards
On 30/03/2018 15:27, Newman wrote:

Good result. Multitool is also a good way to remove something inconvenient like a flange or screw head once you have clearance behind it (as long as you have a multitool!)