Woodblock work surfaces

Can anybody offer any experience with woodblock kitchen worktops? What I'm looking for is any gotchas on d-i-y installation, durability, and recommendations for suppliers. 'er indoors has expressed a preference for oak, such as shown here:

... which would fit the decor scheme admirably, but would we be better off saving the money and going for a laminate?

TIA, ...

Reply to
nog