cleaning a stone floor

Our house was built in 1911.

In the hallway it has a stone patterned floor. Over the years the tiles have become marked. Normal floor cleaning solutions don't seem to make much difference.

Is there a strong chemical cleaner (available from a builders merchants) that is designed to clean a stone floor? Alternatively, can anyone come up with any other possible options?

Thanks, Graham

Reply to
graham

Domestos diluted to one cup full in five litres of hot water. And a good quality scrubbing brush or floor pad.

Reply to
BigWallop

===================== Tiling shops sell strong cleaners one of which is HG - Hagesan.

When I was cleaning some old quarry tiles which had been painted I used 'Nitromors' paint remover to remove the paint. Not only was the paint removed but the tiles were left perfectly clean, so if you have any Nitromors lying around it might be worth trying that as a cleaner.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

For initial cleaning: Lithofin MN Power Clean

If cement or limescale issues are also present: Lithofin Cement Away

Then touch up grout, or regrout.

If wet look required: Lithofin MN Colour Enhancer

For final sealing: Lithofin MN StainStop

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

An important question is: what sort of stone is it?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Not sure.

Graham

Reply to
graham

Thanks to all for their suggestions.

I'll post the results back to the newsgroup.

Graham

Reply to
graham

Well, what does it look like? What colour is it? Does it look like slate/limestone/granite/old council concrete slabs/brick? Is it grouted with something light or dark? Is it polished? Are some of the stones different colours? The list goes on... different materials will need different treatment...

Reply to
Chris Bacon