Women and thermostats

I've always believed that all the pedestrian buttons do is switch on the "Wait" light. And possibly queue up a red cycle to be run at some point. Pushing it again certainly has no effect.

Reply to
Huge

Trouble is each set of Pelicans is setup up differently, some are dreadful. Light traffic, press button wait, no traffic, so cross road anyway, Pelican then stops traffic but everyone has crossed... Others press button, stop sequence initiated straight away or within a few tens of seconds.

Why should it?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

They probably keep pressing the traffic light button over and over as well.

Reply to
F Murtz

It send one signal on the first push, latches a relay which stays on (subsequent pushes do nothing till the next cycle)then it does what was intended and then resets for the next cycle

Reply to
F Murtz

lol

Reply to
pamela

Lots of people waiting, therefore initiate crossing cycle faster?

Reply to
Huge

Not open to abuse at all, oh no not at all.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I have found that fitting a "guesswork" Horstmann thermostat has stopped her from complaining about the temperatures. (Unless we have been cooking, which confuses any thermostat IME)

Reply to
Capitol

And the Up button on the lift when they want to go down.

Reply to
bert

Is this a euphemism? I can't be sure.

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Does not do anything after the first push.

Reply to
F Murtz

For a moment there I thought you were talking about the women.

Reply to
Bob Eager

That is exactly what I miss. In my Cortina Mk5 (actually a Taunus Mk5 in disguise) driving days, I regularly used the heater to provide warm air during the winter, while blowing cold air in my face so as not to start nodding off with the heat. No car I have driven since then has provided this feature.

These days I tend to not only use cold air, but even air-con cold air almost all the time (I can't stand being too hot), but that causes trouble when my wife and kids are with me on a long journey. I can be wearing a tee-shirt and be too hot, while they are under blankets or in coats and complaining of the cold.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

That's not the right way, as the men will be too hot. The only fair way is to have it cold enough for the one person who doesn't want the heat and everyone else can wear more clothes if they want - the reverse tends to cause problems and arrests ;)

Reply to
Steve Walker

We have that at a local crossing to the station, park and car park. As a driver I get stuck at it frequently when the pedestrian has already crossed and as a pedestrian I also have to wait ages for the green man - often crossing in a gap in the traffic first.

Not only that, but it has cost a fortune. There was a zebra crossing there for decades - perfect, as there was no unnecessary hold-up to either pedestrians or drivers - but they decided we must have a puffin crossing (which totally fails to identify whether or not the pedestrian is still there). This meant not only changing the crossing, but due to the proximity to the car-park exit and drivers being unable to see the lights due to their own roof-line, the whole crossing had to be moved a few yards, with new dropped kerbs, new tactile paving, new electrical supply and removal of the old ones.

A couple of years passed and they replaced the puffin with a toucan (still fails to detect pedestrians), which for some reason meant moving the crossing a few more yards at even more cost.

I still cannot understand why a toucan is considered a good idea, as the road is too narrow to add cycle lanes and therefore any cyclists in a position to press the buttons to cross would be illegally cycling on the pavement!

Reply to
Steve Walker

Ah, that has just brought to mind one odd thing about the lift at work. You will have noticed that most lifts pause after you have pressed a floor button before closing the doors - apparently a minimum 8 second delay on door closing is required for the disabled. I have never understood why this delay is applied in this way, as getting out it makes sense, but in means you are already in if you can press the button! Anyway, one of a pair of old lifts at work had a second, lower, control panel added. The buttons on the "new" panel have an 8 second delay before the door closed, while the old, high, ones are immediate. 8 seconds is not long at all, but it is irritating when everyone is already in the lift.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Lift control systems seem to have odd logic; a nearby lift between a supermarket and its basement car park, is fairly new with two cars, if I was programming it when it was idle I'd make sure one car was sitting at each floor waiting, but no, this thing will quite happily wait with both cars at the same floor (either of them) ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

My car has that. Separate controls for upper and lower levels.

Reply to
harry

The problem with doing that is that greeies will complain about the waste of energy.

This is the solution (safe link to Wikipedia):

Bob Eager

Its the bloody talking lifts that drive me round the twist. How many blind people can there be to justify such lunacy.

Reply to
fred