Wiring regs?

My son is doing some cabling prior to a qualified sparky (who he cant contact today) hooking it all up. He needs to know if an extractor fan can be fed from a spur to a socket. Can any of you give a quick accurate reply?

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Yes.

If you think about it, cooker hoods usually are.

The only reason bathroom extractors are fed from the lights is that they are often triggered by the bathroom light and you don't mix circuits at a single load and the load is tiny enough not to matter.

Reply to
Tim Watts

You can feed pretty well anything you like via an FCU from the ring - assuming the load is less than 13 amps.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Indeed. The OP hasn't said where (in which room) the fan will be, or how it will be switched.

If it *is* in a bathroom, it's probably best connected to the lighting circuit - to come on with the light, and remain on - using a timer - for a while after the light is switched off. If it is to be switched manually, it can be spurred off the ring main instead - but will probably require a pull-cord switch if in a bathroom.

Reply to
Roger Mills

An entire shed or garage in fact - if you use the IET's Wiring Matters magazine as a guide...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Its in a utility/laundry room, and will be switched from a wall mounted speed controller.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Yes it can, however not if you want it to be activated by the light switch.

Reply to
John Rumm

In which case that's fine. Note that some fans will require supply fusing at 3A,

Reply to
John Rumm

As an aside - as Muddymike is I hope by now sorted - a timed fan that turns on with the light is frowned upon by BCOs if there is a window in the bathroom. Part L etc.

And I did get a nice belt out of a badly wired up "central house" fan the other day. Sure I turned off the FCU and the lighting circuit but there was a random switched live from the kitchen extractor that was used to "boost" the fan.

Reply to
ARW

Thanks Adam, and all others that chipped in. Its done now. My son is just chasing in the cables, leaving the connections to whatever is needed to the qualified sparky to connect up. He just needed confirmation that he we chasing this one from a suitable supply.

This is his second "buy to let" and he has already had one unexpected shock, not the electrical kind, a financial one. He didn't realise all the bedroom windows had to be replaced with ones that allow a person to climb through to escape. Therefore he is trying to do more of the work himself.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

That is odd. Who is making your Son fit these windows?

Reply to
ARW

Does he have maybe a 3 storey building?

Reply to
Tim Watts

So fall to death instead of burn to death?

Reply to
ARW

That or HMO, I suspect.

If only somebody, equipped with big ladders, would come to assist people trapped in burning buildings...

Reply to
Adrian

More to do with the firemen being able to get in with full apparatus - at least that's what the BCO told me :)

Although I would have thought they would have just axed the window out...

Reply to
Tim Watts

The PVC frames melted *way* before the fire service arrived when a house up the road went up (young lad using petrol *IN* the lounge!)

Reply to
Andy Burns

The window company he called in to quote on a couple of ground floor windows advised him they needed doing. He then checked with local authority who confirmed that let houses must have them!

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike