Wiring question

Hello I am fitting a new kitchen and need to move the fridge fuse switch about 1ft to the left because of the cupboard that will have the fridge/freezer in it. I have had look and there is not enough slack in the wiring to do this...as expected. What are my options? The only thing I can think of, other than getting an electrician in, is to get a junction box and wire from that to the switch?? Would this be ok? If so what ampage box do I need?

cheers ST

Reply to
Crazzeee

Where is it fed from? Another socket I presume. Can you not just replace that run?

Junction box ok, but must not be sunk in the wall and covered in plaster!

Reply to
Dave Jones

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 11:59:41 +0100, Crazzeee scrawled:

Nah, do that. Sounds safest to me.

You could get away with extending the wires from their current position, but not with a junction box. The alternative would be to pull the cables out of the wall completely and drop them down again in the correct position, but without seeing where they run this may not be feasible.

Reply to
Lurch

No idea where it comes from...above i.e. upstairs, bathroom direction??? It feeds the socket for the fridge (fused) and another double plug socket

I have put a junction box in for now, seems ok - obviously I had no plans to plaster over it ;-) it is behind the cupboard with the fridge in it so no need to hide it

thanks for the help

Reply to
Crazzeee

Probaly right but don't have the time or money for an electrician.

To pull the wires i guess i would have to lift the floor upstairs to find the wires again short on time and not fancy lifting the floor...not floor boards - some kind of sheets of wood.

Have put a junction box in - why is this not good?

thanks for the help ST

Reply to
Crazzeee

You can use a junction box provided it's accessible afterwards. Otherwise you have to use a crimped connection.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's okay as long as it remains visible and accessible, and any wire runs from it are either horizontal or vertical.

Reply to
Rob Morley

ok - thanks

Reply to
Crazzeee

thats what I've done - horizontal about 12inches away from the junction box very visible

thanks

Reply to
Crazzeee

neatest solution, IMHO: is to chase out the wall & put a new 13A flush socket (coud be a double) at the new location (with a proper metal back box) , run a 2.5mmsq cable to the old outlet plate (or is it a 13A socket??). Then replace the old socket with a connection unit plate (these are ususally used to permanently connect external flexible leads into the mains circuit). This connection plate could be a 13A fused connection unit if you have any doubts about where the ultimate connection to the ring is made. You aren't allowed more than one socket (single or double on a spur unless the spur is fused.. Putting in a FCU means you don't have to bother checking compliance with that rule.

Alternatively if you have access to a cable crimping tool you could crimp the cables in the old box to the new extension 2.5mmsq cable and just insulate them & fit a cover plate, however if you do that you do really need to establish that you aren't overloading the spur.

BTW if this is in your kitchen the part pee police should be notified.

HTH

Reply to
jim_in_sussex