Wiring Immersion Heater

That's not a fault. That's incompetence. And you prove dead before working on a circuit or appliance.

Reply to
ARW

And you prove your prover first :) I always test my probe on a known live first.

Reply to
Tim Watts

ARW pretended :

If for any reason a main neutral is lost, the the neutral will become live.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

What is a main neutral?

Reply to
ARW

when I started updating the wiring etc in this house (wth lighting switch in the bathroom was fed in lead sheathed cable) I found a junction box with red & black going in and black & red coming out.

Reply to
charles

Its not uncommon to find a junction box like that when you have only two red and two black wires into the junction box.

Reply to
ARW

you mean it's normal to join red to black and black to red inside the box?

Reply to
charles

This is why they have MEN on TN-C-S systems.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Is there another photo after you worked on it? ;-)

Reply to
Adam Funk

The most likely test to perform is insulation and you can't do that if the appliance is still connected to neutral.

Reply to
harryagain

In days of yore there was no twin red/brown cable, so it was common in lighting circuits. But there was single core double sheath. cable, now disappeared. The three terminal system of wiring was unknown too.

Reply to
harryagain

There is still 6241Y if you want single+earth or 6181Y if you don't want an earth.

Reply to
Andy Burns

there was twin red/black. I've still got half a drum.

by 3 terminal, I assume you mean adding an earth - or do you mean loop through?

Reply to
charles

Of course you can, if it fails you will have to isolate it to find the fault.

Reply to
dennis

Looping in and out of the ceiling rose. More sensible really. Might use a little more wire. Ie live, neutral & switch wire.

Reply to
harryagain

It will always "fail" if connected to neutral. Since neutral (and hence the wiring in the appliance) is connected to earth

Reply to
harryagain

No. I have drawn on the correct connections. The only fault is that the outgoing connections from the second RCD are the wrong way around.

ARW

ITYM

Reply to
Andy Burns

I did:-)

Reply to
ARW

harryagain posted

But why not just an ordinary plug that you can pull out from an ordinary socket?

Reply to
Big Les Wade