wiring hidden lamps under kitchen units

Had BCO over to discuss wiring, I want to wire two flourescent lights under the wall units, according to BCO I need to have at least a blanking plate in view to indicate the run of the cables, this means I cant place the FCU's behind the wall units !! sureley this is wrong?

Reply to
Staffbull

I presume there will be access to the FCUs from inside the cupboards as you will need access them for isolation purposes and to change fuses.

In which case the FCU will indicate the run of the cables, assuming they are vertical or horizontal.

John

Reply to
John White

Cheers John, if i provide the access then that'll do then. Is there another way to wire them? I tke it they will require a FCU to comply though.

Reply to
Staffbull

Cheers John, if i provide the access then that'll do then. Is there another way to wire them? I tke it they will require a FCU to comply though.

Reply to
Staffbull

Another thing John, I have ordered FCU,s with flex outlet not switched FCU's are these OK?

Reply to
Staffbull

They only require an FCU if taken from a ring circuit or other power circuit protected at more than 6A. I usually supply them from the lighting circuit, switched separately but at the room entrance, and I use Klik architrave sockets mounted in the wall immediately below the cupboard bottoms, which are half the size of an FCU.

So how do you switch the lights?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

It depends what you are wiring them to. If you were wiring them on to a lighting circuit (with a suitable switch, then you would not need to use a FCU.

If they are being wired to the kitchen ring, then you will need to use a FCU.

I presume you mean like this:

than like this
you have some other means of switching the lights on and off, then the non-switched FCUs will be fine.

I normally would use switched FCUs, unless there is a reason why the circuit should not be switched off at that location.

John

Reply to
John White

To answer a few questions, lights will be switched with lighting cct, my thought is that I can't run cables without some sort of ident and connection (hence the fcu's) I just thought that i could stick em behind the wall units. I dont want the fcu's to be on show under the units as there will be four double sockets and two 45A DP's for the hob and cooker adding the fcu's will make it look too "buisy". I can live with the access in the cupboard solution as it easy !!

Reply to
Staffbull

Thants them!! ordered tonight along with other "essentials" they have a "special" on at the mo with grab adhesive at 49p !!!

25 tubes should go a way :-)
Reply to
Staffbull

Using Klik fittings is an excellent idea (which I may well pinch) as it allows the lighting circuits to be completely wired and tested, before the cupboards go up.

It will also save a lot of fiddling when installing the lights, as they can be wired before being fixed to the cupboards.

John

Reply to
John White

Sorry gents but what are klik fittings?

Reply to
Staffbull

They are a range of lighting connectors manufactured by Hager and used a lot in shops and offices. Most electrical wholesalers stock them or can get them to order.

See

and follow the links for more details.

The brochure is available here (3.4 MB)

John White

cheers, I'll opt for the fcu's in the cupboards as they're on their way :-)

Reply to
Staffbull

They are a range of lighting plugs and sockets used commercially.

You want S21 or S26 on page 17 of this catalogue:

horizontally. The matching plug is P22 on page 16.

You will need to go to your local electrical wholesaler for these, but they should have them in stock as they are very commonly used in commercial wiring.

Use an architrave back box for the socket such as:

Andrew Gabriel

If they're wired off the lighting circuit you don't need an FCU, and running concealed wiring vertically down to them is ok.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On 18 Sep 2006 14:09:46 -0700 someone who may be "Staffbull" wrote this:-

Except for the vertically challenged they should not be "on show" as they will be close to the bottom of the cupboards and thus out of sight.

Personally I would provide a switch instead of the FCU, to allow the lights to be locally switched on and off as necessary. I would also not connect them to the switched part of the general lighting circuit. At many times of the day one just wants a little bit of light in the darker areas, without general lighting.

Reply to
David Hansen