Plasterboard V's plaster

Please help solve an argument between me and my dad, I don't think there's really that much difference between plasterboarding and skimming a wall and plastering it properly, my dad however says that plasterboarding and skimming causes damp where as normal plastering wouldn't. The wall in question is an outside wall in a mid-terrace bedroom.

Reply to
rob

You can get something called interstitial damp with a gap that is not vented. So vent it. Both are permeable to the outside. A layer of visquine might prevent that, in which case the plasterboard is able to hold up to the technical stresses. Plaster would just slide off it.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Drylining (pb + skim) hasn't been known to 'cause' damp, although I don't suppose it would last very long under already damp conditions. Plastering won't get rid of damp neither....under normal conditions, there is no difference between the two and drylining is carried out in 90% of newbuild houses these days as well as extensions etc, not only for ease but also for it's insulating properties, it does have drawbacks though, like the thread below, 'hanging cupboards on plasterboard wall'

Reply to
Phil L

Do you mean dry lining (ie with an airgap behind the boards) or just fixing the boards to the wall in place of the bonding coat?

dg

Reply to
dg

Neither method will solve a damp problem. Penetrating damp can be solved by pointing the outside of the wall, and ensuring that there is no soil piled up against the wall. Rising damp doesn't exist. Condensation damp would be solved by insulating the wall, such as by using Kingspan K17 board to dryline instead of standard plasterboard.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

So all those damp proof courses are basically bollocks then?

Or is it your post?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Largely yes, although some types of damp proof course will help against penetrating damp caused by piled up soil, or rain bouncing off hard surfaces.

It is possible to replicate some sort of rising damp in a laboratory and occasionally even in practice. However, almost all diagnoses of "rising damp" in reality are pure fiction and are, in fact, misdiagnosed penetrating damp or condensation.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle