Wiring and MCB for double ovens

Can someone let me know what size cabling and MCBs a modern double oven needs. (I'll be using a gas hob)

I've heard you can run some ovens off a 13amp socket but as I'll be taking the floors up shortly I'd rather put in a dedicated circuit now if it's required.

Thanks

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Jim

Since the end of 2004 this sort of work has to be done by a qualified electrician if you are in the UK.

Glide

Reply to
Glide

Tosh.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

You don't know where he is installing it!. No mention of a kitchen. And plse don't top post.

Dave

Reply to
gort

OK, not sure what difference this makes but the CU is in the hall, I plan to come from there up inside the wall, through the house under the upstairs floorboards and then down into the kitchen.

I'm not an expert but would consider myself 'competant'.

Cheers

Jim

Reply to
Jim

It depends on the oven, how long the cable run is, and what the cable is encased in on the way...

I would probably install 6mm to future proof it as much as is practical.

Reply to
Sparks

He can't install a circuit in a wet room, or a new circuit anywhere. He can get in touch with the Building Control dept, pay about £90-100 and they will inspect, and anyone can do it then.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Kitchens and Bathrooms are classed under Part P of the Building Regs as special locations. This means in theory you need to get an electrician in or inform Building control if you diy. Wether you wish to do either is up to you. If you do decide to diy you will at the very least need to calculate voltage drop for the run of cable, this among other factors such as temp derating will affect the cable size and the fusing requirements. Any further questions, we have some very good people on here who will provide answers. A search on here for previous posts about kitchen wiring will give you a lot of info.

HTH

Dave

Reply to
gort

House MOT time coming up....

Reply to
gort

The issue is about the bureaucracy before, during and afterwards.

He could also choose to do none of this subsidy of Prescott jobsworths and apply for a regularisation at some point in th future at about the same price.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yes. This is tape number 23. The Larch..... The... Larch....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Our council charges 20% on top of the normal charge for regularisation.

Reply to
<me9

Thought they could not do that any more.

Dave

Reply to
gort

Possibly, but I have a feeling that a normal application is subject to VAT and a regularisation one isn't and it therefore comes out about evens.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It depends on the ovens. My Neff double oven takes too much current to be fed from a 13 amp supply. Single ovens sometimes can, though.

If you're re-wiring, I'd put in a 10mm T&E fed from a 45 amp MCB with a cooker isolater and be future proofed for any subsequent installation.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Can't he? Does the hand of god come out of the sky and prevent it?

Why would anyone bother?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A total moron indeed trying to get people to break the law.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

181
Reply to