Wireless weatherproof switch?

An elderly family friend has an external switch that turns on a garden water feature via some sort of remote control, or she could until she misplaced the remote. ;-(

Looking at the external box it looks like a grey plastic about 60 x

100mm and 50 mm deep and has a translucent red lid section which suggest it might have been IR (it's quite old apparently).

She initially asked me about finding a replacement remote but assuming one can't be found, has anyone played with such a thing where they could recommend (or advise against) a modern replacement and that isn't too expensive please?

I'm guessing anything modern would be RF rather than IR and that would be fine assuming it had a range of about 5-7 meters. ?

Failing anything affordable, I also suggested a PIR as at least that would allow the feature to come on and off when people were present and whilst she was open to that I feel she would really prefer the manual remote if possible.

Any relevant thoughts and suggestions welcomed as always please. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Comes in at about £100 plus VAT

Or £50 plus VAT and controls three things

Even cheaper at the moment, if a 13 amp socket is acceptable (turn the lawn mover on remotely too!)

Another option is something like X10 over the mains signalling.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Yeah, I found that one but felt £100 wasn't exactly 'cheap'. ;-(

That may well be considered affordable (versus seeing if she can find the missing remote etc), assuming that one comes with the remote in the price?

Big lawn, ride on petrol mower. ;-)

Yeah, I was trying to think if there was such a solution but I think a something that is as near as she was used to previously might be the preferred option.

I wonder if the Knightsbridge remotes are available separately (thinking ahead). ;-(

Thanks for the feedback. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Is this a 230V mains system or, say, a low voltage 12V system? If the latter

OR

Receiver probably needs to be fitted in a waterproof enclosure

Reply to
alan_m

Mains I'm afraid Alan.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Homeeasy. Dead cheap, work fine. One of these at the remote end:

And, either this switch:

or, this remote:

Reply to
Alan

It looks like it does -- but not available remotely.

The Easyswitch one can have a fixed 'traditional' switch in place of a losable remote :-)

Or can you not just switch the mains feed from inside the house?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Ok thanks.

I saw that as well but didn't really consider it as 'a remote' in the traditional sense but now you point it out again I can see it having it's virtues (mainly that it can't get lost). ;-)

I'm guessing you can, if nowhere else, at the CU but I'm not sure what else may share the same MCB etc. I'm guessing there *should* also be a dual pole disconnect on something like that but it's an old house and who knows how it was originally installed etc.

I'm due to go back soonish when their new STB arrives so I'll check your points out when I do. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Is that weatherproof though, or would they just put it in an external waterproof box?

That looks ok.

Or that (and cheap enough to replace if it gets lost ). ;-)

More ideas for the box, thanks. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Or replace the now useless remote controlled switch with a weatherproof manual one. Always assuming the location of the current box is suitable for a manual switch. Advantage, no remote to lose...

Or take the guts out of one of the remote controlled plugin units that are available for a fiver or so from the supermarkets and transplant into the old enclosure.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

True, unfortunately it's a bit high (over a large side gate) and so whilst I could reach it easily (I'm 6'2") , I'm pretty sure she couldn't.

Again, whist a good, cheap and probably very doable idea, I think she would prefer to buy something off_the_shelf so to speak (and I'm trying to avoid being asked to fit it). ;-)

I think it was mostly my Google-foo she was tapping up re locating a replacement remote and I was just checking out the alternatives should one not be available. I might go as far as taking the lid off and seeing if there any clues to the manufacturer as you never know ...?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Depends how much work you want to do. Remote controlled switches that plug into a 13amp socket and have a switched 13 amp outlet are common and cheap. Or check the kit makers like Vellerman. Google electronic kits for adults and see what's around. Jaycar used to do one which would be ideal. But not a simple 'plug and play' solution.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have a feeling some aquatic shops sell these systems, but I'd have also thought they might be in big garden centres, or maybe us plebs are not allowed to do this wiring in the new elf and safety regime? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Me, none , other than maybe finding out what her options are and pointing her in the right direction (she's got someone who actually does such jobs luckily). ;-)

True, but being outside and very exposed that would mean either putting whatever in a bigger waterproof enclosure (and the current one is over a garden gate and amongst some ivy) or doing as the other other Dave mentioned and dismantling something functionally suitable and adapting it etc.

That's a good idea. I wouldn't mind building something 'for them' as presumably then it would be repairable (by me) should such be required but it would need to be pretty straightforward to install by someone used to commercial solutions etc.

I'll check that avenue out, thanks.

Understood. If whatever I came up with could be fitted inside the existing box that would be ideal.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Come no now! Old ladies always have lots of lolly stashed away, and any economies that make merely increase the amounts their descendants will piss up the wall.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

It's much better they spend money on "useful stuff" from TLC than fritter it on the stuff from House Of Tat or whatever else is advertised in the Express or the Radio Times this week.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

My M-I-L died late last year. SWMBO has spent a long time sorting out the stamps, commemorative coins, etc. and similar stuff.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Well, whilst you *might* be right I believe this particular couple aren't as well off as they were before their pension pot fell to bits. ;-(

So, whilst I'm sure there are funds for the important things, they (well she) is still pretty realistic / careful re rationalising what might be considered a justified spend or not.

I know the ability to turn the water feature on remotely is quite important to her, it will be interesting to see by just how much (as I've printed some of the stuff off I've been given here for her to consider). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Good thoughts, thanks Brian.

Luckily this pleb won't be involved in that in this instance. ;-)

However, I did run some armoured across (well, under) her lawn to a pond pump over 45 years ago and it was still working until she dispensed with the pond earlier this year! ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Firstly, thank you for your ongoing interest in me. Whilst it is flattering it's also just a little sad you don't have a happy (married) life of your own.

Secondly, you demonstrate more and more with every post that you are a complete nutjob. ;-(

But to try and help you understand how sensible people consider things, I'll answer your question.

The pond was in the middle of the lawn (something I'm guessing you couldn't predict / consider with your highly blinkered outlook) so there was no other path between the outbuilding that contained the power and the pond.

Mate, I'm guessing you have little chance getting your own wife, what with you rarely coming out of your mums basement and your 100% successful charisma_bypass_operation, but it's patently obvious you have no idea about and so it's understandable why you are fascinated with other peoples wives. Again, in most cases such interest would be considered flattering but in your it's no better than just 'creepy'. ;-(

Of course you would ... you seem very happy to make all sorts of important decisions without knowing or considering any facts whatsoever. ;-(

That was always an option of course (especially for those of us aware of such things and able to consider them) but she was confident in me and I was happy to do it.

On a serious note, have you considered that you might not be on the right meds ... no, sorry, of course you wouldn't ... 'considering your options' get's in the way of jumping to conclusions doesn't it.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m