Wireless light switch (not X10)

I've googled and read through uk.d-i-y for a while now and not come up with the answer to this.

I've bought a house which has clearly had its doors re-hung from the original position. I'm happy about this as it fits with the way I want to use the rooms. However, in a couple of rooms this means that the light switch is hidden behind the door and is therefore awkward to use.

I'd like to place a switch in the "right" place, but as most of the rooms are very recently decorated I want to avoid chasing out the walls and running cables here there and everywhere.

seems to offer an ideal solution, but I'm blown if I can find anywhere that actually stocks the product. x10 might be out of the question as I've got some halogen lights on the circuit. Maplin / B&Q do a remote controlled (via IR) dimmer switch which would be fine if it weren't for the fact that the remote control is just that; a hand-held remote which wouldn't look right attached to the wall.

Is anyone aware of something else that might do the job? It seems such a simple request (and such an obvious one too I'd have thought).

Any help gratefully received!

Matt Frodsham

Reply to
matthew.larkin

- switching capacity

1000 W resistive

Owain

Reply to
Owain

In message , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

Can't they suggest somewhere if you ask them?

Eurobatteries sell the Aurex system which has a switch/simmer that can be wall mounted:

TLC sell the Easyswitch system:

I ask the same sort of question awhile back, not done anything about it though yet - but must do for this winter. You can find the thread (which may or may not be useful) here:

Reply to
chris French

Google "architrave switch", for example

can minimise the amount you have to chase (from the old switch to the nearest point of the architrave) then take the cable around the door frame to the switch on the 'right' side.

Reply to
OG

-held remote which wouldn't look right attached to the wall.

Owain

Thanks - I'd come across this, but dismissed it as the switch box to replace the existing light switch only seems to come in an external box.

My ideal : a blanking plate to cover the existing switch which then houses the remote receiver, and then a simple stick-on remote switch.

Alternatively : a switch plate to replace the existing switch (which houses the remote receiver) and then a simple stick-on remote switch.

i.e. very like the Maplin / B&Q style IR dimmer, but with a stick on switch! It's not that unusual a request surely!!

Cheers!

Matt

Reply to
matthew.larkin

The receiver would probably need a neutral wire, which is not usually available behind a wall switch.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Ah, now that makes more sense - you're giving me technical reasons why such a product may not exist!!

So, a typical wall switch will just interrupt the live circuit (mechanically I presume), and a remote receiver would have to mimic that without any ability to complete a circuit itself for power purposes. That makes a lot of sense.

I'll have to have a look at a B&Q IR one and see how that resolves the wiring problem.

This explains why quite a lot of the sort of devices that I've seen wire in-line with the light itself (e.g. in the floor cavity above a ground floor room) rather than sit neatly with the switch.

Thanks for the input!

Matt

Reply to
matthew.larkin