Wireless connections

I have 2 PC's. One in the house and the other in the shed (don't ask).

I have a wireless router on the one in the house.

I do not have a wireless dongle for the one in the shed.

What I do have is a spare wireless router.

Can I connect the spare wireless router to the PC in the shed and will both wireless routers be able to talk to each other. If so, can you point me to instructions on how this can be done please.

Jim

Reply to
the_constructor

Jim,

I think what you're after is 'bridge mode'. the details will depend on the model of your router. I've certainly done this with a Linksys Router and a Linksys Access Point. The documentation explicitly stated that the Access point would only support a single device, although it worked quite happily with a 4 pot hub hanging off it.

M.

Reply to
Michael Murray (HotM)

It would be unusual to have a router that would do bridge mode. Access points yes, routers usually no.

Just buya wireless dongle. They're cheap.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 12:31:16 -0000 someone who may be "the_constructor" wrote this:-

I assume so:-)

That is a more difficult question:-) It depends on what facilities are available in the spare wireless router.

If you post the make and model of router then someone may be prepared to give you a hand. A good step would be to get hold if the instructions, most can be found on the Interweb thingy if you don't have them, and read them. Anyone who is prepared to help you would probably have to do the same thing.

I concur with the others who have described what is needed as a bridge and that it may be a lot easier to buy a dongle.

Reply to
David Hansen

Not sure that you can easily make two routers talk to each wirelessly. You could with a cable of course - but that's not what you want.

*However*, if the computer in the house is close to its router, why not use a wired connection for that, and transfer the dongle to the one in the doghouse (sorry, shed)? [It's always a good idea to have at least *one* wired connection to a wireless router 'cos it makes it much easier to recover if you ever screw up the wireless config].
Reply to
Roger Mills

You can upgrade some wireless routers to dd-wrt (http://www.dd- wrt.com) which will allow for what you want to do. I've never had the need, but there is plenty of information on their site and in the wiki

luck! Mark

Reply to
marpate1

You can upgrade some wireless routers to dd-wrt (http://www.dd- wrt.com) which will allow for what you want to do. I've never had the need, but there is plenty of information on their site and in the wiki

luck! Mark

You could always post here also if your NG server provides it..."alt.internet.wireless"

Reply to
p.mc

I've got at least one router, i think two that have bridge mode, though I've never used it.

That seems really a sensible option. Though I'm wondering how far the shed is and whether there would be decent wireless reception anyway (though fiddling about with directional antennas and stuff could improve things)

If not than some sort of powerline adapter seem the easy way to go.

Reply to
chris French

Do you realise how cheap wireless dongles can be? (Certainly available around a fiver.)

So much easier. I'd acquire a suitable wireless dongle and be done with it.

Reply to
Rod

my experience with wireless to a shed has been uniformly crap.

Get some hotplugs and try them first.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

One of the cheapo ones might not do it.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Of course. But the spare wireless router might not either.

I sort of guessed, with no real evidence, that the spare router might be an older one that would likely be 802.11b or g only. And the main router might have 802.11n. If that were to be the case, a new 11b/g/n dongle might actually also allow the possibility of better performance (speed and reliability) than the spare router.

That might be a little more expensive. An example:

(I have found Edimax stuff very reliable.)

Reply to
Rod

Home plugs might be a simpler solution - assuming that the shed is connected to your main electricity supply - or buying a Wifi adapter for the PC.

(Try

for a more specific answer as to how to configure your spare router.)

Reply to
Michael Chare

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

There I was trying to save a bit of the old cash by using what I had.

A posting on my local Recycle group netted me a wifi dongle which works very well indeed.

Just as a matter of interest, anyone seen this?

again

Jim

Reply to
the_constructor

The price seldom reflects the performance of these things. A cheap one is probably no worse than an expensive one which uses the same chipset. There are tricks like mounting the USB dongle outside in a bit of capped plastic drain pipe that make things much better.

Reply to
dennis

Go on, I'll bite. Just how does that work?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

Dunno. I heard you have to use a Pringles tube. Which is foil lined, has a metal cap at one end, and a plastic one at the other!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Bob Eager

It just keeps it dry. You could use a plastic bag but its not very durable. Putting it outside just reduces stuff in the way.

Reply to
dennis