Windsceen sealer

What's the non setting black gunge pros use to seal between old type car windscreens with a rubber mounting and the body? It's not silicone based. I've tried two motor factors and only been offered silicone based stuff.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Years ago one of our customers used to manufacture the stuff and applicator machines, they were called "Gurit-Essex" but have now been bought by Dow, but could give you a starting point ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I believe this is the system

Andy Burns

Probably black butyl putty.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Reply to
Huge

I've used such stuff. I've a feeling it was called Dum Dum ........ ????????

Reply to
Roger Cain

I suspect it the same as the stuff called black tack in our industry.

BT use it as a non-setting cable sealant. Horrible stuff really, leaves marks, but is good flexable non-setting sealant.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Are you thinking of black Bostik adhesive? I think that it does set fairly hard. It's very messy stuff, but I believe that petrol (or paraffin) is the solvent to use.

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

The stuff they use these days grabs well initially so a vertical screen would hold, but never goes hard. Excess rubs off glass or hands easily with a dry cloth.

It's clever stuff.

I've ordered up the 3M type after a recommendation in uk.cars. maintenance.

's at the bottom of the page.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)