Windows 7 pro

I tried that a fortnight ago, on W7. Shortly after, I was plunged into USB Hell, but didn't connect the two. Still, forewarned is fore-armed and I'll just go for installing the

2000 upgrade as a stand-alone install.
Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

For anyone regularly using these apps it's scarcely shipload - Office H& gives you Word, Excel and Powerpoint (and Outlook for anyone interested) for £153, £1 a week over three years or more. When I got started 20+ years ago Quattro Pro spreadsheet at £50 was the low cost alternative to 1-2-3 and Arnor Protext likewise to WordStar at £200.

Yes there are alternatives (the now ten year old Lotus WordPro is IMO much better in many respects than Word) but they bring their own costs in terms of compatibility issues. If you're an employee, being up to speed in Office is a marketable skill; can the same be said of OO?

Reply to
Tony Bryer

when you have only spent £200 on the computer, thats a f*ck of a lot

If you work in a place that uses it, definitely

Its scarcely different anyway.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"Better" than an i5?

Reply to
Lee

come with anything useful, like MS Word & Excel,

"Sounds like a Golf" but isn't exactly the same thing.

I don't think the "like" was meant in the way you interpret.

Reply to
Frank Kelly

There are lots of different i5 xxxxM versions spanning a range of performance. The slowest i5 you could get lumbered with would be something like an old i5 430M @ 2.27GHz or so. The current high end mobile i5 2540M @ 2.6GHz and is a fair bit faster than the early chips.

i7 is also better but the price vs performance gain is probably not worth it on a laptop.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Reply to
The Other Mike

he said "Does Win 7 pro come with anything useful, like MS Word & Excel"

Note the comma. It has to be useful AND it has to be like MS word or Excel.

Now its well known that neither are useful except to earn money for Microsoft so it can only mean one thing: he wants something useful that does the same thing as word and excel purport to do but actually IS useful..

:-)

If he meant actual WORD or Excel he shouldn't have put a comma in.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Correct

Reply to
The Other Mike

Not for Office 97

Couldn't give a toss about Windows 8 or any version of an OS that requires activation. (I'm on volume licenced XP) My next 'desktop upgrade' when Windows XP goes end of life will be something other than Windows, maybe Mint but I'm not sure. I didn't migrate from Windows

2000 on the desktop until a few months before I had to.

I also have a number of systems used everyday that still run Windows

2000 (and even one using 1997 hardware running Windows 95 that gets used once a month) There is no need to 'upgrade' them for decades to come.
Reply to
The Other Mike

In article , Tim Lamb writes

Do you want 2003?

Reply to
fred

I bought a win7 pro laptop a few weeks ago, (from novatech in Portsmouth) as my xp laptop was slowing down.

Pro has support until 2020 which is why I got it.

has better compatibility with ms word than open office.
will be dual booting with Ubuntustudio
[g]

Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

From what I can tell its better at networking with mixed OS machines, but no, no email there are the usual browsers, no office you have to buy those as well.

Pro means you get all the tools and stuff, not a dumbed down version. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

A good example of why legal documents shouldn't contain commas - they can mean whatever you want them to mean.

Reply to
hugh

In article , Tim Lamb writes

Ah, I use windizupdate.com to avoid the team poking about my machines.

Corp copy with unique generated key avail if you want to use it for test purposes. 500MB inc service packs though so you'll need binary NG access.

Reply with a ;-) if interested.

Reply to
fred

In message , hugh writes

I thought that comma became part of british leyland or DAF

Reply to
geoff

No: Commer was taken over by Peugot. By a very tortuous route involving the Rootes group and Humber

The Natural Philosopher

In message , fred writes

I'll pass but thanks for the interest.

Apparently forwarding the attachment through a Hotmail account is another solution. Perhaps you could explain this in words I will understand?

The last occurrence was re-posted by the originator as pdf. Usually docx comes from solicitors and the like so I try to anticipate by asking them to save the file in an earlier version.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Frank Muir told the story that when he was in Iceland with the RAF during WWII, his vehicle broke down. He called his CO and informed him that the Commer had come to a full stop.

Reply to
Ramsman

In article , Tim Lamb writes

No problem.

Not heard of that one but having installed the compatibility pack on my

2003 I don't really need to look at alternate solutions.

Docx is basically a zip wrapper round an XML formatted document (apparently :-):

guess is that hotmail, trying to be clever/nosy, bugger about with the zip and it ends up readable.

I'm sure you've already tried searching for docx converter/reader/whatever but maybe try this again or unzip the doc and look at the contents (it will create a few folders of style sheets with the real XML doc in there somewhere which may be readable with some package or other).

Installing Open Office for such docs may be the way forward but I note the wiki article mentions that MS chose vary the standard when they implemented their version (typical!).

Here's an online docx to pdf converter that popped up on a quick search:

affiliation or recommendation.

Reply to
fred